New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jay-mo-son
Novice

Post by Jay-mo-son »

Good morning, after having a long exhaustive night, and writing one intro just to lose it to a phone fart at about 1 am. Im back and this is my sec. Attempt to tell you a bit about me. So here goes, hello my friends call me j-mo, and im new to the whole brewing process. I started with beer and after producing my sec batch of beer i decided to order a 10 gal. Stil to make a batch of hooch. Now two days in and nauseous from the spoiled like stinkers burp, belch, and fart smell that quickly tried to claim the house by out ranking my own toxic outhouse fumes. I awoke last night and made the startling discovery that this fowl little pungent batch of rotting hooch needed to have its own living space if i was going to remain the lead smell in the castle. So i put the little stinker in the garage with the wife (motorcycle)who also drinks plenty of gas and feels the need to fill the air with nasty smells of her own so the mistress and i could finally get a peaceful nights sleep with out being accosted by the now living vial burping, belching, and farting pot of rotten silage that had been sleeping in the downstairs outhouse. But just because the baby shits toxic smelling aromas you don't throw it out with the bath water. But i refuse to not be the rankest thing marking my outhouse so its now nestled in its own home and im here to learn how to raise my baby into the most productive member in the house next to my mistress( sec wife to the bike). Looking forward to chatting, learning, and brewing with others like myself. So with that i bid ado. J-Mo the bad hatter😷😋
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Newbie

Post by subbrew »

Welcome and an interesting intro. Can you please enlighten us on just what you are brewing that is so toxic? I have only done rum and whiskey and both smelled at least OK and the rum was downright nice.
Jay-mo-son
Novice

Post by Jay-mo-son »

Sure its just corn, sugar, yeast. My banter about the smell was more for fun then displeasure. As though very strong still pleasant. And i just didn't realize my increase in size was going to produce so much more aroma. My two batches of beer hardly smelled up the coat closet. The corn mesh filled the whole house quit comfortably and being an old farmer i got worried about silo gasses.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Nothing to worry about, ferment makes a little co2, sometimes some sulfur depending on the yeast. Welcome to the adventure.
:)
Jay-mo-son
Novice

Post by Jay-mo-son »

Thank you, looking forward to letting my little pot shine.
Jay-mo-son
Novice

Post by Jay-mo-son »

I do have one important question. This being my first batch. And im going to be running it off in about two weeks well 10 more days any advise on heads hearts body tails etc...?? Don't want to spoil the prize. Im running a ten gal stainless stil with thumper and cooling pot. That has a water pump for circulation. I used 10 lbs of cracked corn. 15 lbs of sugar (10 lbs priming/5 lbs table). and the two packs of yeast that came with the starter kit, and aprox.8 to 9 gals of water. Should be a fair batch i think for a newbie. My concern is that I'll be making my cuts blind (straight by eye.) What's the best dummy proof method for eyeing the cut of the heads and tails? I saw this ol timer once put it in a pint flask and shake it. Watching the reaction of the bubbles and the legs running after a fair shake he seemed pretty confident in what to burn and what to keep.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

You cant make cuts by eye you have to smell and taste the spirit. I recommend you read all the newbie guides as well as Subbrew's suggestion as you seem to have been poorly informed. Luckily you have come to the right place for good advice and information. Good luck with the journey.
IAmPistolPete
Novice

Post by IAmPistolPete »

It's important to learn to drive your rig before you get too far in. Be sure to do a cleaning run with vinegar/water 1st. Get a handle of cheap rot-gut vodka & dilute as a 2nd run, you'll get a better feel for her when you run your actual wash. Even then maybe split your 10gal wash into 2 smaller runs & you'll see quicker where heads/hearts/tails differ in taste & smell. Be sure to put copper in the vapor path as well. It's a great hobby, but you don't wanna just "wing-it" in the beginning.
If you ever find yourself being chased by a pack of wild taxidermists, do not play dead.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

sounds like some kinda weird corn mash, should smell like a good beer, the description makes me think of some kind of infection
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Jay-mo-son wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 am I do have one important question. This being my first batch. And im going to be running it off in about two weeks well 10 more days any advise on heads hearts body tails etc...?? Don't want to spoil the prize. Im running a ten gal stainless stil with thumper and cooling pot. That has a water pump for circulation. I used 10 lbs of cracked corn. 15 lbs of sugar (10 lbs priming/5 lbs table). and the two packs of yeast that came with the starter kit, and aprox.8 to 9 gals of water. Should be a fair batch i think for a newbie. My concern is that I'll be making my cuts blind (straight by eye.) What's the best dummy proof method for eyeing the cut of the heads and tails? I saw this ol timer once put it in a pint flask and shake it. Watching the reaction of the bubbles and the legs running after a fair shake he seemed pretty confident in what to burn and what to keep.
Turbo Yeast would cause that smell.