Newbie Manchester uk

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hairyarsedelvis
Novice

Newbie Manchester uk

Post by Hairyarsedelvis »

Hiya

Newbie here. Started trawling through google trying to find out how to make my own Vodka simply because I’m sick of buying it! When I say sick of buying it I mean bored if it… I want to see if I can learn to produce my and tweak it etc.

The more I read, the more I interested I’ve become and as I seem to end up coming back to this forum for advice thought it might be best to join and get reading!

Looks like it’s a little more involved than mashing a few spuds :D so I best read from the beginning and save myself time and money!

Cheers
Last edited by Hairyarsedelvis on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Newbie Manchester uk

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, check out our Tried & True recipes we have several that will make a good vodka.
Hairyarsedelvis
Novice

[quote="Bushman"]Welcome, check out our Tried & True recipes we have several that will make a good vodka.[/quote]
Thanks. This is a great forum! I’ll have a look at them cheers[emoji106]
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hairyarsedelvis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:22 am Looks like it’s a little more involved than mashing a few spuds so I best read from the beginning
Welcome Aboard , Hairy.
Seems you have discovered one of the most important things that you need to know.
Very little of the world's vodka is actually made from potatoes.
Be very sure you know what still you need for the job befor diving in to deep.
Hairyarsedelvis
Novice

Yeah definitely.
I’ll buy nothing until I’ve read until my eyes bleed and then some!

Think I’ve already changed my mind and may start by going down the whiskey route.

From todays read that sounds like a pot still instead of a reflux still would be best.

I like the idea of tweaking tried and tested recipes and learning how to do my cuts and blending etc.

Months of reading ahead for me 1st though as I’ve spent most of the day reading the safety aspects of distilling and making sure all that’s well and truly sunk in.

A bit surprised reading some posts of the dangerous things people have still gone and done even with a forum such as this available with a massive wealth of information! Baffles my head does that 😂😂