Hello from northern Minnesota

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sajonmore
Novice

Hello from northern Minnesota

Post by Sajonmore »

Hello I'm from Northern Minnesota.

I have exactly no experience at this at all. Though I have made wine. I like to think I'm decent at it.

I really wish to learn to distill. Been reading your info most of the evening. Look forward to getting some equipment and trying.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from northern Minnesota

Post by Deplorable »

Build it big so them Minnesota skeeters dont fly off with it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to Home distiller, Sajonmore. The more you read before committing to buying or building a still the less chance there is that you will buy or build something that you wish you hadn't in time to come.
To many people jump in head first before knowing what they really need for this hobby.
Don't be one of them..take your time.
Sajonmore
Novice

Post by Sajonmore »

I read and a bunch of the recipes I see talk about letting the wash sit 10 - 14 days. One wines I'm going for 1 - 2 months to reach full fermentation. Why such a short fermenting? Why not go for more content?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Welcome to HD Sajonmore :wave:

I lived in Eveleth Minnesota for a few years, a long time ago. Nice area but I sure don't miss the winters.
Sajonmore wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:49 pm I read and a bunch of the recipes I see talk about letting the wash sit 10 - 14 days. One wines I'm going for 1 - 2 months to reach full fermentation. Why such a short fermenting? Why not go for more content?
It's preferred you don't ask too many questions in the welcome center because those threads tend to get lost over time and can't be found when others are searching for answers but I'll give you my 2 cents on that.

Some people are hung up on speed, some are worried about infections because grain ferments tend to be more susceptible to infections. There is also a book out there that tells them not to let anything ferment more than 3 or 4 days (or some such nonsense like that). Then there are those of us, like me, who prefer long slow cool ferments. Basically if you ask 50 people you will get 50 different answers.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sajonmore wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:49 pm Why such a short fermenting? Why not go for more content?
There are a few people around that get all hung up about super short ferments. Most people are happy to wait a bit longer for a ferment to finish.
Do you mean by more content a higher ABV ??, If so people don't like to go higher in general than about 12% because the higher the wash the more likely it is that the yeast will stress.
Stressed yeast makes for poor quality booze.
Sajonmore
Novice

Post by Sajonmore »

Ty yes higher abv I've got a strain that can reach 25% but stop short cause gets an off nasty taste.
Yes will post topics else where. Sorry noob to this message board posting. 50 and trying to learn tech