Hello from Washington State!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Imriven
Novice

Hello from Washington State!

Post by Imriven »

Hi there!

I’m super new to distilling. I’ve been doing research and a lot of my questions through Reddit, Google, or otherwise kept bringing me back to this site so I thought I might as well join. I have yet to make anything but have been doing research the past couple of months.

I got interested in distilling quite by accident. I review items for an online retailer. Well one day there was a moonshine still available. I snatched it up without knowing what exactly distilling anything would entail. At first I was thinking it would be a cool decoration for my home bar. But then I got curious. I know from what I’ve read a lot of people here make their own set up. I wonder how most of you feel about store bought stills? I know before I distill anything I want to triple check and make sure it doesn’t have any leaks.

After reading and grabbing tools and ingredients, I got some mash and made a wash. It stopped fermenting a couple of days ago. I’m waiting for a nice day so I can take it outside to distill. I’ve read so many horror stories it sounds like outside is the best place to do it just in case things go awry. I’m super excited to distill but also a bit worried. Anyway this is such a great resource and thank you to all of you who have put your time and knowledge into this forum!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from Washington State!

Post by Bushman »

Welcome from another member from the Evergreen State, it’s a great hobby!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to the forum. A bunch of members are from your way. Enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Imriven
Imriven wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm I wonder how most of you feel about store bought stills?
You get what you pay for, buy cheap rubbish and that's exactly what you end up with. Spend some money on something of quality from one of the better known manufactures or retailers and you will have still that should last for many years and do its job well.
Having said that I always have and always will encourage people to build their own rather than buy......there are many ,many benefits to be gained by learning that skill. You don't need a lot of fancy tools to build, just a few very basic ones.
Imriven
Novice

Post by Imriven »

Bushman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:16 pm Welcome from another member from the Evergreen State, it’s a great hobby!
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Imriven
Novice

Post by Imriven »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm Welcome Imriven
Imriven wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:00 pm I wonder how most of you feel about store bought stills?
You get what you pay for, buy cheap rubbish and that's exactly what you end up with. Spend some money on something of quality from one of the better known manufactures or retailers and you will have still that should last for many years and do its job well.
Having said that I always have and always will encourage people to build their own rather than buy......there are many ,many benefits to be gained by learning that skill. You don't need a lot of fancy tools to build, just a few very basic ones.
Fair enough! Thank you so much for your insight!
Imriven
Novice

Post by Imriven »

SmokyMtn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm Welcome to the forum. A bunch of members are from your way. Enjoy the read
Thank you for the warm welcome! I’m looking forward to learning more!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Welcome Imriven :wave:

As some have said there are a lot of us here in Wa.

A couple of things,

What still did you get? There are a plethora of bad Chinese stills online that have problems that need addressed before using. Pictures would help.

#2- Have you done cleaning and sacrificial runs? Properly cleaning is very important before drinking anything you produce.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Hello and welcome Imriven. It is a rewarding hobby. As far as horror stories go, there are plenty, most are fear driven without much foundation. Play safe, do a proper cleaning and sacrificial run, you might just have lucked into a rewarding hobby.
BTW my still lives and works in the basement, at -30 we ain't going out doors!
Cheers