Ohio Winters

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TeeweezyOH
Novice

Ohio Winters

Post by TeeweezyOH »

Can be cold and our football teams in the North can be depressing so I decided to spice up my hobby life and our tailgates by learning to distill. I started on beer and taught my son who is now a head brewer. Now we tackle the next fun hobby and hopefully don't go blind or blow up the house in the process!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Ohio Winters

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to the forum. This hobby is safe if you abide by the rules
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Teeweezy.
If you think this hobby can blind you its time time to put down the book of fairy tales and time to start reading the forum from end to end.
A search for "Methanol" will produce many interesting facts and very little fiction.....use the google search function top right of this page......not the very top one.
TechSteele
Novice

Post by TechSteele »

Welcome,
I live in Cleveland, I understand.
First I would say read everything you can get your hands on. This forum or others.
There is a lot of crap and wishful thinking on the net. Also a few stories that are so old, its like George Washington getting his recipe from Aliens.
I just bought A large Fish tank submersible heater. We have to keep the mash over 75 degrees to keep it active. I read somewhere this was a good idea. Plus maybe some insulation for the pot. Even in the summer, its hard to guarantee temps over 75 at night, or in the basement. Hope it helps.
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

ha!! good luck not blowing anything up! ;-) love the Father/son bonding. through my Dad's life, he's brewed beer (even root beer ;->), and made many wines. he's 85 now, & we were able to mash-in & run for his 1st time ever just a couple months back. <3
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/