prost... from Ohio!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

dragon9874
Novice

prost... from Ohio!

Post by dragon9874 »

hey all!

i've been obsessed w/ the craft for a few+ decades, but have only been active in the hoppy for the past 6 months or less. my current rig is a 6 gallon pot still w/ a 1/2 gallon doubler/thumber, and a 1(+/-) gallon condenser. I've got about 5 runs under my belt... only sugar-shine & birdwatcher so far... getting ready to elevate to corn for a couple/few runs before i try my hand at Brandy. being as close to the 'family tradition' (well... half anyway... i'm half hillbilly & half German! ;->) is priceless. i love my more 'traditional' pot still w/ thumper setup... even dig the experience of having to use flour paste. but, i've got my eyes out for my next still, of which i'll have one & only one requirement... clamps!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

only thing that can make this more rustic (ignore the electric burner ;->), is if we were in the woods... if only! sigh..........
https://i.postimg.cc/j5jHqfPr/20211003-160934.jpg
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: prost... from Ohio!

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to the forum. It is recommended to post pictures directly to the forum. Instead of using a host site. As you dig, you will find threads that no longer have pictures attached due to this problem. Enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

thx for the head's up Smoky! i thought i saw some limits on attachments that made me upload all my pics external. but i think i was dreaming, 'cause i don't see them now! so here we go... :-)

{i set the jars there to pose for the pic, just for the record! ;->}
20211019-221408.jpg
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Nice copper. Welcome. Sounds like you have a great start.
dragon9874
Novice

Post by dragon9874 »

thx SB!! :-) i [THOUGHT] had studied a loooooong time before my 1st run, but it's amazing how the littlest of things can get you. for example... i'll throw myself out there... ;-) my 1st SEVERAL mash-ins i couldn't figure out why i wasn't fermenting. i told my close friends my scenario (who have a head-start on me in this craft), and no one could figure out what was wrong. turns out... in that thing called the 'bubbler'... you know you need some water in it? yeah, BRAIN-FART!! for several throw-out wash'es... guess what i was missing?? NOTHING!! i was throwing out (potentially, and most likely) perfectly good wash! the last wash (when a close friend caught what was up) was well over 3 weeks old (closer to 4) & quite a bit bitter (to be expected, sitting that long). oh well... ran it, just 'cause... and who'd know, couldn't be any better!! :-) that was my 1st experience as to "anything is possible"... just run it! it might not be perfect, but it'll work out nonetheless. sorry, went on a rant, thx again SB!! appreciate the note! :-)
My Journey Started here: Cranky's Spoon Feeding!
10G pot still + 3.5G thumper + 4G condenser... all copper! d-(^^,)
{DWDSD} \m/(^_^) \m/