Greetings from the White Mountains

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mountainmurphy8194
Novice

Greetings from the White Mountains

Post by mountainmurphy8194 »

Hi all,

I’m new to the craft, and all about learning!

I have almost a decade of experience in the food, beverage, and hospitality field, with a bachelors degree in Culinary Arts and Service Management. (That is to say, I know my stuff from the consumer side.)

I owned and operated a bar where I live in NH for just over four years, before that major world event that kicked off in early 2020 shut me down for good. I’ve been in and out of the industry since, (worked for a few months as an apprentice electrician) but I’m currently working as a waiter at an Italian restaurant.

So far my friend and I have done a few batches on a cheap pot still. Turned out a decent apple brandy and a tasty rum (kept half as 40% abv white rum and put the other on med toast oak at 55%) so far, but I’m excited to see what we can make as we improve our skills.
I just finished building a pot still from a half-barrel stainless steel keg (15.5gal for those who don’t know), and I’ll be doing the vinegar/sacrificial sugar wash runs this week.

Greetings, and thanks in advance for what I’m sure will be plenty of input and advice!
Last edited by mountainmurphy8194 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Greetings from the White Mountains

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. Enjoy the forums.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Welcome, have fun, stay safe. Drifter
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Welcome and glad to see another in NH! Hope you can find a good brew supplier up in the Whites. I'm in southern NH.