Bradster

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bradster

Post by Bradster68 »

Hello everyone. Excited to join. I'm new to mash making but am eager to learn. Its awsome that people can get together and help each other out. Iv made beer in the past but want to try something new .
MidgetFarms
Novice

Re: Bradster

Post by MidgetFarms »

Hi Bradster.

I'm more or less brand new to the hobby too.

I had the hardest time getting my first all grain to convert starch. If you don't want to use malted barley buy good Alpha amylase and study how to use it.

Both barley and amylase require good temperature control. 10 degrees too hot & you get nothing. 10 degrees too cold & you get almost nothing.

Read read read. There are a couple decent YouTubers but there are thousands of bad ones.

Welcome & be safe
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Nice to meet ya. I actually bought some amylase and used this time in my corn mash. Seems to make it ferment longer. Iv been reading my ass off. Wife is making jokes about my new obsession.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bradster68 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:57 am… Wife is making jokes about my new obsession.
Check out the “panty dropper” recipes in the T&T forum for her. I think you’ll make a believer out of her if you do.

Always “be safe, responsible, and discrete”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Fletching
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fletching »

Bradster,

I am pretty new to the hobby too. There are tons of good tried and true recipes on here, and there is so much knowledge on this forum regarding mashing, that even a complete noob like myself was able to figure it out and make a good all-grain drop pretty quick. That being said, I started out with a few generations of UJSSM before trying to get deep into mashing, and I’m glad I did. That stuff is tasty and an easy win for somebody starting out.

+1 on the “Panty Dropper” recipes as a convincing factor. It’s what keeps my wife at bay when she sees the mess I make while bottling and the bank statements when I make changes to my setup!

Glad to see you here. Look forward to interacting and learning with you buddy

-Fletching
Here’s to lobster tail and whiskey. Three of my favorite things.

Easy Maceration Boiler https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p7691427
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I just put on some hard cider for her gonna blend with a blackcherry. She loves somersby. So she'll be ok with it all. I just read lastnight about the uncle Jesse. Seemed interesting maybe I will give it a try.
Always good to meet new people with fresh ideas I'm supper pumped.
Chat soon.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.