No Still Yet Still No Idea

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rocky
Novice

No Still Yet Still No Idea

Post by Rocky »

Hi All,

I reside in Queensland, Australia - if you were to make Australia into 6 blocks I’m in the top right (for anyone unfamiliar).

First may I say what an amazing website and forum setup you have here. It is clear from the “small” (many hours) of reading I’ve done here the passion, interest and help available. I’m brand new to this hobby starting from some YouTube (keep reading it gets better) that ended up with me on this forums. It’s clear that there is a much larger plethora of information here - although I must admit watching videos is pretty easy.

I currently do not own a still. Im looking to transcend this problem but I’m not entirely sure in what direction to go. I started out thinking a 50’ish Litre Combo Still. Now I’m wondering go with a 50’ish L Pot Still. I lean towards pot still as I currently prefer the more flavourful spirits and it appears to be the beginners curve.

Am I missing anything? (Of course I am)

So I’m looking at either a 58’ish Litre Combo or Pot Still. I’d love for something to have the ability to develop from the originally setup although I know this makes things complex in either case… Please help me I think I have the bug…

Long time listener first time caller.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: No Still Yet Still No Idea

Post by Oatmeal »

Welcome! Not too complicated to have a variety of still heads that you can swap out once you settle on a boiler.
A pot still head is a great place to start, and something you will likely use always to strip, so have at it!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Determine what kind of spirit you want to make and go from there. I have a 2 plate flute, i can drop the plates for a pot still, and I don't feel like I need anything else for what I like.

Either way, get a still, get a ferment from the tried and true section going, and start the journey!
:)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Rocky.
Don't rush into buying or building a still., there are a lot of options.
Know what spirits you hope to make....then buy the right still for that particular job.
Lastly I suggest avoiding the cheap and nasty ones you see for sale like the plague.
They are rubbish and you will regret the purchase soon afterwards.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Start hunting for kegs. I've got 5 and im looking for more. They make great boilers, and thumpers and cooking pots and fermenters. Can't go wrong with a keg.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome Mate .

A lot will depend on what you want to make and what your budget is .
However , a good boiler is a requirement regardless of what head you put on it .

If you can afford it , you can get a 50 litre beer keg all tricked up with dual element ports , extra wide still attachments , fill and drain ports .

Having said that ,I’ve been using a plain old keg on a gas burner for 10 years or so and although its a bit more work , it makes booze as good as a fancy one does .
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Rocky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:07 am I’m looking at either a 58’ish Litre Combo or Pot Still. I’d love for something to have the ability to develop from the originally setup although I know this makes things complex in either case… Please help me I think I have the bug…
I'm with Yummy, a simple keg is easy, and on gas it's easier, I don't have a drain or access port on mine (2 by 2k elements on bsb nipples) it's a bit more work but it's cheap and simple. Read heaps and think about the big picture and if you do build make sure you think 2 years in advance.
Good luck from the bottom right corner of the top right corner state :thumbup: :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Rocky
Novice

Post by Rocky »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I’ve definitely factored them into my end game. I think I’ve decided what I’m after but still reading… even if my eyes are bleeding.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Welcome mate

Ive moved camps a little on boilers, either like yummy & sporace said - Keg, 2x cheap screw ins (or gas burner) Or this beastie, best bang for buck in OZ
https://www.kegland.com.au/118l-31gallo ... oiler.html
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

It's hard to beat a keg for a kettle at the hobby scale.

As for the still head, it's hard to go wrong if you start at the very beginning. That is to say if you use the system that has the oldest pedigree you'll be building a good foundation of knowledge with which to move forward with.

There are one or two fellers here that started with a pot still, moved on to more elaborate forced reflux systems, and ultimately now are back to pot stilling.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

Welcome.
Knowing what I know now, I would recommend a CCVM still head. I built mine so it can be converted to a pot still with minimal effort. Winding the condenser(s) was the most challenging part of the build.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

+1 to everything above.

*IF* you go down the purchase vs make-it-yourself route, Kegland has a good variety of options & price points. I myself have the 120V 8 gal/30L version with both the pot & reflux heads. It gets me everywhere I want to go. Pair it with a power controller (find/make an electrician friend or purchase one), and you're good to go.

Good luck, have fun!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Howdy Rocky and welcome!

What you are describing is a modular setup. If you set up your boiler with a tri-clamp fitting, you can then attach your pot head or column to that and swap them out. I'm running just such a setup, and only have a pot head. After almost 2 years and 100+ l of finished product, I'm thinking about building a column to start another learning process.

Start slow, build for flexibility, and you won't go wrong.

Best, Drifter
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

Pretty new here. I posted pictures in another thread. I started with a Still Spirits t-500 boiler and reflux column. Added an eBay post still column that I've used more than the other. The boiler works well, although I added an SCR to control the heat a bit.
T-500 boiler and column
Home-made insulation blanket
StillDragon tri-clamp adaptor (useful as hell.)
Copper Pot column
"Custom" Copper Alembic Dome (I cut up a copper mixing bowl. A work in process..)
Home built SCR voltage controller
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

All great advice, I might add what ever direction you go pick a boiler that is a minimum 5 gallons but bigger would be better.
Rocky
Novice

Post by Rocky »

Hi All,

Thought I’d give a quick update, I am now the proud owner of a Pot Still. I ended up purchasing one as this was best fit for my schedule.

58L Keg Boiler with two elements onboard. It’s a modular setup with tri-clamps.

I’ve done my first ferment (All Bran) from the “Tried and True” section. This will be my sacrificial run. Will start another ferment of the same today - look forward to running the first one that “counts”.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the info and to let you all know I’m now officially into this. You’ll probably catch me over on the “My First…” forum with a title similar to “Pot Still, Still No Idea”.

Cheers,
Rocky.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Let us know how the sac run goes Rocky
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Rocky wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:12 pm Hi All,

“My First…” forum with a title similar to “Pot Still, Still No Idea”.

Cheers,
Rocky.
They say it’s not the fall that gets ya, it’s the abrupt stop at the end. So the way I figure… you already jumped, just don’t stop!
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.