Good morning from West Michigan

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Raisenman
Novice

Good morning from West Michigan

Post by Raisenman »

Hello, just starting my first keg still build. Just getting going. Looking forward to digging through some more posts. Pretty informative so far. Happy distilling. Rick
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Good morning from West Michigan

Post by Skipper1953 »

Good morning.
What are you going to build?
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Howdy Rick,

Welcome to HD, and you are right, lots of great information here that is for sure.

Best, Drifter
Powder Monkey
Novice

Post by Powder Monkey »

Welcome.

From a fellow troll.
Raisenman
Novice

Post by Raisenman »

I am in the process of building a keg still, with a single 4500W/240V electric element. I have the column and the condenser built. I am just about finished with a 2 - ½ gallon mason jar thumper set up, with a bypass. I just completed and tested the controller. Works like it should. I went with a PID controller. Was finished collecting parts for it before I had read about the scr controller, which I am now collecting parts to build and try that set up. The keg will be done tonight, or tomorrow. So, I will be cleaning and getting ready to run... SOON.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Raisenman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:32 pm I am in the process of building a keg still, with a single 4500W/240V electric element. I have the column and the condenser built. I am just about finished with a 2 - ½ gallon mason jar thumper set up, with a bypass. I just completed and tested the controller. Works like it should. I went with a PID controller. Was finished collecting parts for it before I had read about the scr controller, which I am now collecting parts to build and try that set up. The keg will be done tonight, or tomorrow. So, I will be cleaning and getting ready to run... SOON.
I understand you are new. Mason thumper are very dangerous. You need to read the required reading before you go any further into the hobby.
TheoMedic
Novice

Post by TheoMedic »

Cheers! I’m in west Michigan too, windmill town. Let me know how your set up works.
Raisenman
Novice

Post by Raisenman »

I will be getting it up and running soon hopefully. What do you have as a set up?
Raisenman
Novice

Post by Raisenman »

I have read that some view the glass jar thumpers as dangerous. I am also getting things together for a 6 gallon keg thumper to replace the mason jar set up if it proves unreliable, or too dangerous. I have the keg just need to get it together.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Raisenman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:43 am
I am also getting things together for a 6 gallon keg thumper to replace the mason jar set up if it proves unreliable

Not to pile on but give a moment to consider that the "proof" of it being dangerous and unreliable could be the complete loss of your home (assuming that's where you distill) ... and when I say complete I mean you can't expect your insurance carrier to cut a check when the cause is established.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Raisenman
Novice

Post by Raisenman »

Okay, I understand that it is dangerous. I have seen this as an explanation everywhere. Can you explain what is dangerous? Other than to just say it is dangerous. Is the dangerous aspect that you have glass jars that could break when heated/ pressurized? Does the seal fail? Wouldn't that be an issue with any seal in your system? I'm trying to learn, but you get a lot of READ READ READ! Well, I have and haven't found answers. I'm not trying to be an ass, just looking for an answer that doesn't say..."it's dangerous". Driving is dangerous, but we all find a way to make it safer.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Welcome in, Raisenman, I think you will find the forum a great help to speed up the learning curve for ya.

Being the Welcome Center, I don’t think this will be the best place to have a dustup over glass distilling equipment.
Glass is discouraged because it can break easier. And typically mason jars are too small anyway. I’d say 1/2 gallon is too small for a keg boiler. There are just way better materials and ideas posted on here to cobble something together that doesn’t make sense.

Good luck with your build, hope you find success soon. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Raisenman wrote:Okay, I understand that it is dangerous. I have seen this as an explanation everywhere. Can you explain what is dangerous? Other than to just say it is dangerous. Is the dangerous aspect that you have glass jars that could break when heated/ pressurized? Does the seal fail? Wouldn't that be an issue with any seal in your system? I'm trying to learn, but you get a lot of READ READ READ! Well, I have and haven't found answers. I'm not trying to be an ass, just looking for an answer that doesn't say..."it's dangerous". Driving is dangerous, but we all find a way to make it safer.
Folks see things on TV or YouTube or somewhere else and it works there, and figure why not.
You ask why is it dangerous? Think about it for a minute. Very hot glass with very hot alcohol vapors (flammable/explosive), that glass is very susceptible to being broken. Thus spraying very hot alcohol vapor and liquid all over. All it takes is a spark.
You can carry a loaded cocked/locked .45 in your pants pocket with the safety off, but why would you take the chance of possibly singing high tenor?
Safety is of primary concern in this hobby. Folks are just trying to give you good advice. Its up to you whether you take it or not.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Raisenman
Novice

Post by Raisenman »

I understand, but, when you ask for advice, as a newbie, 90% of the time you get...READ READ READ. Myself as a newbie, do try to read everything I can. When you do ask a question, a lot of the time, some of the ones that are experienced act as though it is beneath you to answer without being condescending. Maybe I was just raised different, help if you can. I do get that you probably see a lot of repeat questions and get tired of it. Either way, happy trails.