Hello all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonPenguin
Novice

Hello all

Post by MoonPenguin »

Hi

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months, figured I should register so I can join in the fun. I've been homebrewing wine, cider, mead, and even the occasional all-grain mash beer, for nearly 10 years. People often ask if I distill too, and I hadn't given it much thought until recently, thinking it far too complicated and dangerous.

I have not got a still yet, and the building of one looks beyond by talents, but here's hoping I can get into this scenery looking hobby sometime this year.

Cheers to you all for the fountain of knowledge on this site 🍻
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Re: Hello all

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Howdy MP,

Welcome to HD. Your fermentation experience will be a great foundation for what comes next. Don't be so quick to dismiss building your own, it isn't that difficult if you have basic skills like soldering and tools like a drill. That's about all I needed to build my own out of various copper pipe and a stainless steel milk can.

Figure out what you want to make, and then do some research on techniques and stills that others use to make your preferred drink. Then you'll have a better feeling for what you might need to build or buy.

Best, Drifter