New guy here.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Richie
Novice

New guy here.

Post by Richie »

Hey everyone, I'm new to distilling but love to geek out on the details of things. I ordered the 15 gallon Essential Extractor Gin series still from Brewhaus 6 weeks ago and am still waiting patiently for it to arrive. I live in North Carolina and plan to primarily work towards making Whisky and Bourbon that I love to drink, but look forward to making all the rest as well. I've been reading up on distilling and watching YouTube videos for a while now. I was a little disheartened to see Barley and Hops on the do not link to list. I've watched a lot of his videos so hopefully he didn't teach me too many bad habits. I look forward to learning this process here along with all of you.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: New guy here.

Post by Rrmuf »

Welcome aboard.

Don't worry about the B&H videos: You'll get over them.
-- Rrmuf
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Welcome ! That still will serve you well after you learn how to drive it
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard, Richie.
The problem with being new to distilling is that you don't know the difference between fact and fiction, truth , or just plain out bad information.
It seems that a lot of the stuff you have watched on Youtube is rubbish.
Spend your time reading here and you will learn the proper methods of distilling.
https://www.essentialdistilling.com/Ess ... lete-Setup Wow that's a fancy name for what is a design thats been around since Noah was a boy. Marketing talk constantly amazes me.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Welcome Richie,

George means well, it's just he's pretty sure he knows it all and that gets him into trouble. Your aspirations to run whiskey and bourbon are a good initial focus. As others have said, lots of great information here and also in the heads of the long term members like Saltbush. When the deep experience talks, I listen very closely.

Best, Drifter
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking forward to getting started. Once I get the hang of things a bit, some buddies of mine and I plan on having mash Thursday nights. We have Fridays off so we can stay up late, BBQ, and cook some grain!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:06 pm Welcome aboard, Richie.
The problem with being new to distilling is that you don't know the difference between fact and fiction, truth , or just plain out bad information.
It seems that a lot of the stuff you have watched on Youtube is rubbish.
Spend your time reading here and you will learn the proper methods of distilling.
https://www.essentialdistilling.com/Ess ... lete-Setup Wow that's a fancy name for what is a design thats been around since Noah was a boy. Marketing talk constantly amazes me.
X2 . Solid advice , there .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Leafssuck
Novice

Post by Leafssuck »

Welcome Richie. I got the 8gal essential extractor gin series. Took a long time to arrive but definitely worth the wait.
“To Alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life’s problems.”

Homer J Simpson.
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

Yeah I just found out it's going to be another 2 months or so. Looking at using a beer keg until the kettle arrives.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you're gonna use a keg while you wait, why not just get a refund and build a more modern and proper copper still head?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

I really have no experience with stills at all. Once I get a feel for this new hobby and how to properly use everything I'll begin designing my own. We'll see!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Richie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 am I really have no experience with stills at all. Once I get a feel for this new hobby and how to properly use everything
To me it would make more sense to do some research first...see what type of still or stills you need to make various products, then re order or build a still.
Jumping in at the deep end and just buying the first still you see doesn't all ways stack up to being a winning decision.
Wrong still for the wrong Job or buying a cheap crap still are the two most common mistakes we see New Members making.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 am Welcome aboard.

I'm still unsure, after reading here for 5 years, running all sorts of stuff for 5 years, and watching every single video of his.... Why there is such resentment. He's not correct on everything but I haven't seen much that I can recall that is dangerous or will result in awful product.

Maybe I missed something? He's the reason I got into this and his reflux video series was very insightful. Not perfect, but it helped.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to revisit his videos, because I've never understood the hate
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Also, and maybe I'm not using the HD search function well, but I've tried to find specific examples that people mentioned about him and it seems like it's complete censorship to even have a discussion about what he's so wrong about.

I'll try again and my apologies to anyone who's frustrated that I'm questioning this but I just haven't seen specifics yet.

Ok I found this, and it appears related to the company, not George?
I didn't see his thumper video. I'll go look now.
viewtopic.php?t=5090
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

Jumping in at the deep end and just buying the first still you see doesn't always stack up to being a winning decision.

I'm probably not using the quote function correctly. I have done research and will continue to do so SaltBushBill. I bought this still because it has good reviews for quality and can be run as a pot or reflux. It came mostly with what I need to get going and I feel the capacity is adequate for what I want now. Later down the road as I learn along the way, when I feel I've outgrown or need a different one for a different type of distilling then I'll purchase another or maybe build it myself if that peeks my interest. I learn better by getting my hands dirty and actually doing the thing ya know? Can't just sit reading books and forums forever in search of the perfect setup ever.

Maybe I missed something? He's the reason I got into this and his reflux video series was very insightful. Not perfect, but it helped.

I'm with you Rockin Rockies, everything here is just other people's opinions that they have learned for themselves or have from listening to other people. I learned more from George than anyone else on YouTube. Maybe he doesn't know as much as some here, but he knows more than I do. If I get into this and find he has been steering people wrong then I'll quit watching and warn against him. Until then I'll keep soaking up info from lots of sources. 👍
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

His ideas on methanol, his ideas on PID use, his ideas on fractions, his ideas on turbo yeasts...........the list is endless.
The endless hours that have been wasted by older experienced members here sorting out problems caused by his shitty advice that has caused new members here to fail.
Why should we not have zero tolerance for bad information, in the same way that anyone here on the forum gets stomped on if they start talking bullshit.
Richie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 pm Maybe I missed something? He's the reason I got into this and his reflux video series was very insightful. Not perfect, but it helped.
If his reflux video series was that good , you would be aware that the design of the still that you have chosen is probably the most outdated and worst of the reflux still designs that are currently available on commercial sales sites. Hobby builders stopped building those things 10 years or more ago and moved on to better things.
In short you don't know what you don't know yet.

This is supposed to be a welcome thread, its going right off topic and is getting close to being locked.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Richie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:12 am I look forward to learning this process here along with all of you.
Welcome aboard Richie, I watched a lot of videos and can honestly say that I have learnt more from reading and asking questions here than what I have watched, once you combine a bit of practical and a bit of searching and reading things start to make sense, try the UJSSM from the tried and true along with Kiwis guide to cuts and you will see how everything combines and works, as well as how simple things can be without gimmicks and unnecessary gadgets :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

RockinRockies wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:46 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 am Welcome aboard.

I'm still unsure, after reading here for 5 years, running all sorts of stuff for 5 years, and watching every single video of his.... Why there is such resentment. He's not correct on everything but I haven't seen much that I can recall that is dangerous or will result in awful product.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to revisit his videos, because I've never understood the hate
No hate. B&H videos got me interested in home distilling even if there are a number of misconceptions in there.

Salty hits the most notable things you need to 'unlearn'. Good news is that there are very experienced people here that we can draw on for those re-learnings. You just have to be willing. and ready to read ALOT.
-- Rrmuf
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:20 pm His ideas on methanol, his ideas on PID use, his ideas on fractions, his ideas on turbo yeasts...........the list is endless.

I am aware of the PID concerns, but it was beyond my comprehension so I just am avoided it.
If his reflux video series was that good , you would be aware that the design of the still that you have chosen is probably the most outdated and worst of the reflux still designs that are currently available on commercial sales sites. Hobby builders stopped building those things 10 years or more ago and moved on to better things.
In short you don't know what you don't know yet.

This is supposed to be a welcome thread, its going right off topic and is getting close to being locked.
[/quote]

So, I'm bummed because I thought the flute column with dephleg was a sufficient design. I'll do more reading.

I don't want to get this locked. SBB, I've read much of your posts and have learned as much from you as most others combined- thanks. I'll stop derailing. To the new home hobbyist.. Welcome and best of luck!
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

Thanks RockinRobbie. Hey SBB, I get that you're a site moderator and judging by the way Robbie responded you must know a bit about this hobbie. Coming in guns blazing with an attitude toward new members talking down the equipment they already purchased and accusing them of doing no research and buying the first still they saw isn't really a winning combo for growing this site in a positive manner. As I have been reading through different threads I am noticing a great deal of the same type of ego stroking condecending comments a LOT! If you want to teach people you don't insult them and talk down to them. I assume by the way to you wrote your responses to me you probably assume I'm some punk kid looking get drunk cheap or something. I'm a 46 year old Army veteran. I fix military aircraft for a living, I'm growing a tree nursery business on the side, I have a wife and 3 children, very happy family. I'm beginning to think that this might just be the way you guys run this forum and if that's the case I won't stay long and hope that others do the same. The internet is full of negativity as is with the politics in this country. Think we can just enjoy this hobby without all of the BS please? BTW they told me it was going to be even longer to get that still done so I canceled the order and I am going to start with a simple pot still with no reflux column as I'll be learning to make whisky first. I dont care if it's perfect. It's good enough for me for now. When I gain experience I'll upgrade if need be. I look forward to having fun learning. Still excited about this hobbie!
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Richie, I don't think you could get Salty more wrong.
There are a bunch of very knowledgeable people here who are extremely generous with their time and knowledge. This is a forum so expect to get a response to your comments, sometimes those responses may not be to your liking, I can guarantee that between the guys who really know their stuff you will always get good info, it may conflict a bit but it will always be good. Good luck and stick with the forum :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Richie
Novice

Post by Richie »

Thanks Sporacle, I dont have any issue at all putting in the time and effort learning from those who have experience. That's why I joined. It's just that since I have been reading through different threads there just seems to be an overwhelming need for people to be condescending. Write one wrong word and there is someone or several people to include moderators ready to pile on and point out what you wrote wrong instead of just answering the question, or pointing that person in the right direction to find the info. I can read books just as easily as a forum ya know? Maybe it's like SBB said and for some reason my new guy post went off rails and maybe I also just stumbled on the threads with assholes in them. I'll give it time and see how it goes man. No worries! 😉
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:thumbup: Richie, a couple more things and a particular thing is terminology. It's important to refer to thing by their correct names otherwise it gets really confusing and people start to guess what is happening. People come here with varying degrees of knowledge (wether what they know is right or wrong is another story) and often a lot has to be unlearned.
You will after a bit of time see the exact set of questions get recycled.
why is Turbo bad?
My still won't run properly with my PID?
I need to control temperature to extract the ethanol.
My airlock has stopped bubbling?
and so on and I think this often leads to frustration from the guys that have been on here for a long time (I've got less than 12 months here)
Sit back and read a bit, get a ferment on and actually watch what's happening, look listen and smell, do a stripping or spirit run after the cleaning requirements and see what happens, what it smells like, tastes like and how hot your still and condensor are to touch. You'll be fine, just remember it's a forum, I got called an "arse hat" after about 3 months on here
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome, Richie.

You said, I am going to start with a simple pot still with no reflux column as I'll be learning to make whisky first.

Best thing you could do anyway. Think about making it modular. Look in the forum for info.

Geoff
The Baker
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Stick with it Richie! There is a wealth of experience here and when you come in fairly new, the answers can feel a bit harsh. I still find this after 18 months (and a slightly thicker skin ;-) ) but it's ok: it is all very well-meaning. It is frustrating to see new people have come in with the same questions and same misconceptions from the same youtube channel.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum.
-- Rrmuf