Long time listener, first time caller!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shackleford
Novice

Long time listener, first time caller!

Post by Shackleford »

Man I have enjoyed this forum for a year or two now. Took the plunge deeper into the hobby recently and have decided to finally make a post and maybe participate a little on the forum. Love how much info is on here. Got a 20 gal pot with 10 gal thumper, all thick copper. Been doing ujssm and am gonna make the step to all grain. Going to go for HBB and Booners using SCD’s large batch method. Hoping for success!
Behind enemy lines- left coast.
Rusty out!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Long time listener, first time caller!

Post by SmokyMtn »

downloadfile-5.jpg
downloadfile-5.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Welcome to the forum. Love the show
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Shackleford
Novice

Post by Shackleford »

Thanks Smokey!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome. I'll just call you Rusty.
All grain is the way to go. I've done a few sugar washes and I can definitely say that all grain tastes better, and a 5 gallon keg of all grain feints properly handled and refluxed makes a great vodka.
Enjoy the journey.

Edit to add, my roof is good, and stay away from my wife.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Shackleford
Novice

Post by Shackleford »

Haha! I’m glad I’m amongst like minds here Deplorable. I have my malts for the HBB and the enzymes are in the way for Booners. Ferm solutions is what I got, seemed to be the consensus on here.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thats what I used on 150 pounds of corn to fill a 5 gallon barrel and a 1 gallon jug. Work it right and be patient and you can pull some good numbers from feed corn milled fine. Good luck. Watch out for the rabbit holes.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Welcome Rusty, lots of us left coasters here. Sounds like a nice setup. You just need to add a reflux column for your saved feints.
Shackleford
Novice

Post by Shackleford »

Thanks Tummy! I am already thinking about a column. You know that rabbit hole y’all talk about on here to watch out for, once you’re here it’s too late. I have been saving my feints and was gonna run em agin when I had enough, are they only meant for neutrals?. Been reading round here for a couple years, but in the last 6 months or so went all in on the hobby and reading on here. So much info, so fast. I was under the impression an all feints run was for flavor? Is that incorrect?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Shackleford wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:43 pm Thanks Tummy! I am already thinking about a column. You know that rabbit hole y’all talk about on here to watch out for, once you’re here it’s too late. I have been saving my feints and was gonna run em agin when I had enough, are they only meant for neutrals?. Been reading round here for a couple years, but in the last 6 months or so went all in on the hobby and reading on here. So much info, so fast. I was under the impression an all feints run was for flavor? Is that incorrect?
Ive got a half gallon of all feints that I ran on the pot still sitting on 2nd use oak fingers thats about 6 months along. I havent even touched it other than to pull the cork, blow across the top of the jug for an air exchange, and set it back down. Im gonna leave it for a while longer before I sample it. I did a big run of all feints through my CCVM that make a pretty decent vodka all said and done. Now, I have to start refilling the feints keg.