Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

GoodfellaWhiskey
Novice

Hello

Post by GoodfellaWhiskey »

Still very new to this all but have loved Whiskey my entire life. I started because I thought it would give me a greater understanding about the actual process. Something my whiskey tasting friends know little about. Even though we have visited 10-12 major distilleries and whiskey tasting festivals around the South. Basically I wanted to better appreciate all the great Whiskeys I have had the privileged to drink. But I believed it to be an interesting, challenging, and rewarding hobby also.

Started off with that cheap Vevor still on Amazon. It was garbage in many ways, but I can't lie as it was successful in my first batch production efforts. Shine was 159P. Cut to 100P and 80P bottles and is aging now. I recently upgraded to a speakeasy column still and I love it. Ran a white whine cleaning run last night and it was so much easier, faster, cleaner, and just more sturdy. I'm reading a lot about grains and waters now. Trying to better understand what makes some grains/waters better quality than others. Thats why someone on a FB group suggested this forum to me as a rich resource to ask questions.

I will be starting my second ferment tomorrow and have my tails jar standing by. I'm shooting for 170p when I start the run. I'm not trying to be the guys on TV. To be fully transparent I never seen it other than TV ads. Looks good though, but I'm sure its exaggerated for viewing audiences in many ways. Not trying to be like JD or Makers one day either. Just happy to create something I can share with my friends. Kinda like how my wife likes to bake cupcakes for the neighborhood moms. Now at the next Halloween block party we can all have goodies :wink:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Hello

Post by LWTCS »

Welcome GoodFellaWhiskey,

I'm diggin your assertion.
Here's why:
Strictly consumers have no other choice but to evaluate the spirit starting from the out side in. Always only ever exposed to the finished product. And that's fine.
Weather that be the finished package, the finished color, the finished smell, and of course the finished taste. Only out side in.

When starting from the beginning of the process and becoming intimately familiar with all of the smells, color and feels, you'll absolutely build and acquire more sensory awareness skills than the average consumer / enthusiast.

In other words, you will acquire the ability to evaluate the bottle from the inside out rather than the out side in.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
GoodfellaWhiskey
Novice

Post by GoodfellaWhiskey »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 pm Welcome GoodFellaWhiskey,

I'm diggin your assertion.
Here's why:
Strictly consumers have no other choice but to evaluate the spirit starting from the out side in. Always only ever exposed to the finished product. And that's fine.
Weather that be the finished package, the finished color, the finished smell, and of course the finished taste. Only out side in.

When starting from the beginning of the process and becoming intimately familiar with all of the smells, color and feels, you'll absolutely build and acquire more sensory awareness skills than the average consumer / enthusiast.

In other words, you will acquire the ability to evaluate the bottle from the inside out rather than the out side in.
YES! Exactly. You said what I want to do better than I said it lol. Thanks
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome GoodFellaWhiskey!

It sounds like you want to read and learn about the 'why's' and not just the 'hows'. Following this approach will take you far.

Enjoy the journey and always practice safety and patience.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer