Hello from Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Samuel
Novice

Hello from Canada

Post by Samuel »

Hello!

My name is Sam and I'm a french Canadian. I recently build my first pot still (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WRmN-A ... sp=sharing) in order to make gin. Until now this website help me a lot (how to do the cleaning run and sugar wash). I hope to learn more about distilling and gin with you guys:)

Best,
Sam
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome Sam, I think you'll find a wealth of information here from all the gin drinkers. Gin is something I have yet to acquire a taste for, but the process makes me wish I had.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Hello Sam and welcome. Pretty looking still, not sure exactly where the thumper will come in in gin production but looking at your connections I guess you can put the leibig straight on the pot still. Someone recently talked about making neutral by putting water in the thumper. Maybe worth an experiment.

You can (and should) upload photos to the site, rather than hosting them elsewhere as it avoids broken links in the future. And I assume that you know not to collect drinkable product in plastic... :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Samuel
Novice

Post by Samuel »

NormandieStill wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am Hello Sam and welcome. Pretty looking still, not sure exactly where the thumper will come in in gin production but looking at your connections I guess you can put the leibig straight on the pot still. Someone recently talked about making neutral by putting water in the thumper. Maybe worth an experiment.

You can (and should) upload photos to the site, rather than hosting them elsewhere as it avoids broken links in the future. And I assume that you know not to collect drinkable product in plastic... :wink:
Thanks! Yes you saw well. I can connect or not the thumper. Making the thumper was a mistake haha. Initially, I though I would use a thumper in order to make neutral alcohol at 95% by doing multiple runs. Turns out that after only one stripping and spirit run I find my sugar wash quite neutral. We might have seen the same thread since I saw on the forum too that we can put water inside the thumper in order to make neutral. I tried, but infortunately, I have a huffing condenser when I do this. I'll have to fix it...eventually. For now, I use it only as a slobber box during the stripping run.

Yes, I am aware that plastic and hight proof alcohol does not mix well. This picture was take during my vinegar run. We can't see well on the image, but the plastic is in fact an empty vinegar jar

Oh! I did not know that we can upload a picture directly on the forum. This is why I used google drive. I'll look into it. Thanks for the intel:)
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Samuel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 pm Oh! I did not know that we can upload a picture directly on the forum. This is why I used google drive. I'll look into it. Thanks for the intel:)
First click here to reply,
image.png
image.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 257 times
then scroll down to see and use this feature to attach pictures from your phone or computer.
image.png
image.png (9.37 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Samuel
Novice

Post by Samuel »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:49 pm
Samuel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 pm Oh! I did not know that we can upload a picture directly on the forum. This is why I used google drive. I'll look into it. Thanks for the intel:)
First click here to reply,
image.png
then scroll down to see and use this feature to attach pictures from your phone or computer.
image.png
Thank you:)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD.. from a fellow french Quebecker transplanted to northern Ontario

Good looking setup, with some thought put into the build..

As to making gin, you thumper could be retrofitted to do the gin with..

So can I assume french canadian to from Quebec, and if so, what part, as I still have family in the Eastern Township area..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Bienvenue Samuel. Canadien ici d'Ottawa!
-- Rrmuf