Moonshine question

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Moonshine31
Bootlegger

Moonshine question

Post by Moonshine31 »

Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum and I hope I receive a lot of valuable info here from you guys.

First I’d like to say I’ve made moonshine about 3 times with all the garbage left over from grapes after making wine.

I have a shitty homemade still and want to make moonshine the real way, with corn and other ingredients.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Moonshine question

Post by Bushman »

I approved your post and moved it to the required introduction in the Welcome center. I also deleted your question as the welcome center is for introductions and welcomes. You are now eligible to post your question in the proper location.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Moonshine31 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:41 pm Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum and I hope I receive a lot of valuable info here from you guys.

First I’d like to say I’ve made moonshine about 3 times with all the garbage left over from grapes after making wine.

I have a shitty homemade still and want to make moonshine the real way, with corn and other ingredients.

Well your understanding of what "moonshine " actually is needs a freshen up.

Before the modern advancements of sugar production became widely used, "moonshine" fermentables would (and still is really) have been what ever was locally available. If you lived in corn county your moonshine would be made from corn. If you lived in peach county your moonshine would have been made from peaches. If you lived in apple county your moonshine would have been made from apple. And so forth and so on.
And of course moonshine is historically an untaxed spirit.

Moonshine is more or less a catch all generic word.
The moonshine moniker has kind been hijacked by some legal operators makin low budget, low skill likker. Not to sound snobby cuz I done plenty of that too.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome aboard Moonshine31.
I agree with Larry, "Moonshine" is a catch-all, and while that is what this hobby is about, I don't like using the term, as I liken it to selling untaxed spirits.
As such, I like to think of my spirits as more of a "boutique", or "very small batch" craft-spirit for private consumption. :lol:
Selling is a line I'd never think to cross.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Welcome aboard! Have fun with it. Don’t tell don’t sell.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Moonshine31
Bootlegger

Post by Moonshine31 »

Ya I’m for sure not selling any of it this is just for me and to save some money on alcohol. So what types of still would you recommend for making alcohol out of corn?

I think I’ve narrowed it down to two courses but don’t really know which one I should buy. Here are the two links, any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.moonshinestill.com/collecti ... /10-gallon

https://www.copper-alembic.com/en/spiri ... -prime-kit
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Are you trying to approximate a traditional American corn whiskey? If so, and if you're sold on all copper, I'd suggest a more traditional American design.
If you don't really care what the boiler is made of, and you're handy, I'd highly recommend building a still out of a beer keg and some 2-inch copper pipe. You'll have more money for grain if you build it yourself. This from a guy with a SS milk can boiler...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Moonshine31
Bootlegger

Post by Moonshine31 »

I have a homemade one and want to upgrade. I’ve been reading that all copper is better for this type of process.
Moonshine31
Bootlegger

Post by Moonshine31 »

What would be a more American design and why would you suggest that over the ones I posted?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Moonshine31 you are asking questions in the Welcome forum please address your concerns in the proper thread this is the second time I have had to mention it to you!