Greeting, Eh

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bubbabobob
Novice

Greeting, Eh

Post by Bubbabobob »

Hi,

First post since spending some time getting to look around the forum. By way of introduction I have been making wine (from grapes) for a number of years along with all grain beer. Not sure how I rate but I like what i make and folks that try it dont mind. I stumbled into this branch of the hobby as I needed some very high proof food grade ethanol for plant extractions, essential oils and the like. I could have bought some everclear but I run a R&D and quality lab for a food production company and had access to a small 1 L glass distillation set up and some peach wine that was sitting in the rack for a bit longer than desirable. So, distilled the peach wine up to 93%, not for drinking but served the need I had.

From there, I built a small 'pressure cooker' still and just messed around with it. Ended up deciding that I was not sure how active a hobby this was going to be and decided to buy an entry level 12 L 'Chinese' still. Have made a first attempt at Irish Whisky, sitting on oak right now and first impressions are not bad.

I wanted to let the folks here know I am totally impressed with your approach to this, it comes across in almost every post, safety, knowledge and quality. Info about gaskets for my cheap still was fantastic, being not to concerned with how much product you get but rather the quality of the product and the encouragement (albeit a bit rough around the edges from time to time) to have folks read and lean.

For me, not sure if I will get bitten by the distillation bug but its great to see a community that is out here that, from my perspective, is focused on the right things.

Thanks for doing what you are doing, it has helped me a bunch.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Greeting, Eh

Post by bitter »

Welcome eh
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, that was a nice introduction and I would say your assessment of the forum is spot on! I hope you get bitten as it has been a great journey for me.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Eh,,,,welcome.
Best hobby ever.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.