Hello from Wisconsin!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Hello from Wisconsin!

Post by bcook608 »

My name is Brett and I'm a first time distiller. I just recently purchased a cheap 5 gal stove top still to learn the process. Hoping to make some decent whiskey for the boys and I to enjoy this summer.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hello from Wisconsin!

Post by Demy »

Welcome, you will find great information here, I'm sure you will become good.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Demy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:51 am Welcome, you will find great information here, I'm sure you will become good.
Thank you!
The information here is unbelievable!
Thanks to all the posts I've read so far, I was able to confidently get my first batch of AG mash going! Well, kind of... I ended up having to add sugar because my SG was a bit light. I don't think I had very good conversion during my cook due to an undersized grain bag.

Oh well, it's a learning process! I ground up my corn much finer for my next batch and I'm getting a larger BIAB bag so I can actually fold it over the edges of my stock pot and get down in there and stir it up really well.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Cookie, your right , this place is the mother load of hobby distilling information.
Many Newbs arrive thinking it will be a simple thing to do/ learn.
Many find that its not as simple as they first thought, keep reading , keep learning , keep improving.....you will get there in the end.
PS those cheap crappy stills don't make the job any easier. :ewink:
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:43 pm Welcome Cookie, your right , this place is the mother load of hobby distilling information.
Many Newbs arrive thinking it will be a simple thing to do/ learn.
Many find that its not as simple as they first thought, keep reading , keep learning , keep improving.....you will get there in the end.
PS those cheap crappy stills don't make the job any easier. :ewink:
Thanks SB! I knew it would be an undertaking so I was prepared to do the research. But I'm very much a hands on learner so hopefully I can get the hang of it quickly so I don't waste too much precious ethanol!