New kid on the block

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DrFunk
Novice

New kid on the block

Post by DrFunk »

Hey all, cheers from Alberta.

I’ve been stilling for a few months off an 8 gallon modular triclamp still 2” column width that can be swapped out to a 1.5m tall reflux set up.

I’m interested in about everything. I’ve got a background in science and bartending so I’m trying to save up a stock of a little bit of everything.

I’m primarily interested in rum but I’m having a hell of a time getting it right!! I’m here looking for some help with that. All my all grain whiskeys and my Brandys, absinthe, gin, aquavit, and geists have been great but the one thing I want most is good rum and It’s giving me the most trouble.

I want to stock up on lots of kinds of rum so I’m interested in using muck, or columns, or retorts. I’ve tried a home cousins process but ended up with lots of ethyl acetate but no higher value esters so I’m working on better bacteria action and pH in my muck. I’ve got double thumpers coming soon so I want to try a double retort set up and make also a mock “port mourant” style set up too to try to get some heavier navy style rum.

Basically the problem is with blending and making cuts.
I tried having a bit more tail end of hearts but after 2 months it still smells and tastes kind of tailsy, and I know SBB et so don’t recommend that. I tried dipping into heads with a column rum but went a bit too far so I’m aging it with coffee filters to off gas. Next weekend I’ll be trying to do a slow single run pot still of all molasses wash and be really strict with the cuts to try to get a more molasses forward rum..
I’m still confused if I ought to only keep the best hearts and age it as long as possible or if I ought to be dipping into the far ends of the hearts cut.

Anyways lots of stuff to talk about and learn. Looking forward to being around.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New kid on the block

Post by subbrew »

Welcome to the site. This is the welcome section so don't expect your questions answered here. I would take you questions over to the rum thread and start a new thread to get them answered