New guy First Post

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

johnac3
Novice

New guy First Post

Post by johnac3 »

Hello and Thank you.
I started my first sacrificial sugar wash today. Now to read and learn.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New guy First Post

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to Home Distiller John, what is the final goal? Rum , Whisky, Neutral or Vodka type spirits, Gin maybe?
What sort of still ?
johnac3
Novice

Post by johnac3 »

Just home brewed spirits. But Its my nature to learn as much as I can about anything I do.
I want to build my own 8 gallon pot still. Not that I couldn't just buy one, but with a degree in mechanical engineering and manufacturing, I cant help it.
In the end I want to make a smooth sipping bourbon. But that is months or years away.
At present, I have one of the 2 gallon stainless steel pots with only a coil evaporator and a 3/8" copper tube. I think it cost about $35 3 years ago. I have watched about 50 YouTube. Mostly from George Duncan in Texas.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome to HD, John!

Have a good look around at what other pot stills members are running for whiskies. The experience here can definitely get you where you want to go. George Duncan can be entertaining but misses the mark on a number of stilling practices. Keep reading here and you'll learn things properly.

Good luck. Always practice safety and patience.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer