About to get started

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hangtownspirits
Novice

About to get started

Post by Hangtownspirits »

Hello all. I'm about to build my first still and get my journey started. I'm from California and my screen name is inspired by the nickname of the town I live in Old Hangtown. before anyone thinks it no the name has nothing to do to race. A group of white murderers and gold thieves kept getting chased off till they finally hung them and the town of Dry Diggings got the nickname of Hangtown. We had Protesters in our town not long ago demanding we drop the nickname of our town and was on tv telling a totally fabricated story to how we got the nickname and trying make it out like it was over racist acts. The reason we take pride in the name is because we don't take no crap and protect what is ours.

Back on topic I have watched a buddy do a run of his blackberry brandy. I know he has 80% blackberries and does some raspberries, blueberries, cherries, pomegranate, mango, lemon, apple and peach. How much of what I have no clue. He has a 30 gallon still and makes enough wine for 2 to 3 runs at a time. I'm currently debating how big to build between 5 to 10 gallon copper still. Thinking about 12 inch wide but will need to figure out how tall for 5 to 10 gallon sizes. Sadly will be limited to electric for heating as it is inside. If i can find the right type of heater band/band heater element I can go a little bigger as limited to electric heating devices weight limits. I have looked and yes there are some stills I would buy but other than some really nice stills I have seen I think it is better to build it myself as part of the learning experience. especially as my first still I think it is important to build it to help understand it better. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can make and hopefully make some friends
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: About to get started

Post by Badmotivator »

Welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for here and make a few friends.

It's customary to advise newcomers that they read until their eyes bleed to get familiar with the body of knowledge and the culture of the forum. You are embarking on a wonderful adventure. Those folks who are further along that same journey are usually more than happy to guide newer folks, provided they seem to be doing their homework as well. :)

Cheers!
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: About to get started

Post by Skál »

Welcome Hangtown, hope you have a good journey.

No idea of your funds or technical skills but a couple of suggestions. Copper seems great and traditional but if youre new to this old beer kegs (25 or 50l) are fantastic boilers. They already have 2" (a great column starting size) sanitary fittings so helps if you consider building a modular still to make different spirits. Column height= purity Column width= speed might help your second question. For your heating question look for the ' Camco 5500w ULWD wavy element'. I've never run a real thick mash on mine inside my boiler but had PLENTY of solids in there with no scorching problems.I can't think of a better suggestion unless you want to build some sort of screen.

Anyhow, just some suggestions above as this is welcome thread. As Badmotivator says, make an opticians appointment for a months time now and read read read. Once you have a plan I'm sure you'll receive plenty of help.

Skál