Air Distiller Becoming Real Distiller

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kruegerfan
Novice

Air Distiller Becoming Real Distiller

Post by Kruegerfan »

Hi all,

I have been messing around with the Still Spirits air still for some time (with sugar washes), and have now decided to take the plunge and build my own still.

It's going to be a very simple design with no soldering required (hopefully). Just a 15 litre stock pot with copper pipes, copper and stainless steel connectors, and a copper liebig condenser (absolutely no brass.

Still will be heated by a 1500w heating element controlled by SRC variable controller. Ordered all the parts, and just waiting for them to arrive.

I will be trying my first all grain mash in the new still. Absolutely no experience with all grain, so thought I would try the easy way to start with and give the raved about Angel active dry yeast a try. Seems to work great without actually mashing. Wondering if anyone on here can prove or disprove it's worth in the distilling community.

Been reading lots of posts on here in regard to materials, safety, recipes etc, and really looking forward to being part of the community.

Thanks

Kruegerfan
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Air Distiller Becoming Real Distiller

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to Home Distiller, Krue
Kruegerfan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:04 am so thought I would try the easy way to start with and give the raved about Angel active dry yeast a try. Seems to work great without actually mashing.
ger
Be careful what you buy, not all Angel brand yeast will work without proper mashing......its only the yellow lable one called " Starter Of Liquor Making. that works that way.
Most information you might need including a photo of the pack can be found in the link below.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76531
Always good to see someone throw the training wheels away and move onto a better still :thumbup:
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Thanks for the welcome Saltbush Bill, and for the advice. Been watching Jesse on Still It for the last year or so and seen it on his channel. It's defo the yellow label I've ordered. Coming directly from China as I can't get it here.

The only ones I found available here were for baking and rice. Ordered a 500g bag. I guess time will tell the results.

Thanks again
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Hi All,

Starting to get excited now. my 15l (4 gallon) stock pot and copper connectors arrived today. Now just waiting on my copper pipes, element and controller so I can start my build.

Might make my gaskets while I'm waiting. Gonna try the cardboard and PTFE tape gaskets I read about on here to see how well they work for this simple pot still setup.

Thank you in advance for any advice that may get chucked my way. I'm hoping not to ask too many questions as I have been doing a tonne of reading in regard to recipes and stills.

Let the journey begin (properly LOL)
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

I spent about 6-8 months using an air still. Learned a bunch then bought a still. I do not have the maker skills to build one. I still have and use the air still from time to time to test things. I know people look down on them but I still say it's the best way for someone with no experience or knowledge to start.
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

IMALOSERSCUMBAG wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:34 am

I know people look down on them

well I’ve been running an Air Still every ten days for the last two years and have no intention of joining the guild of ‘real distillers’.
The smaller the still the closer to being a genuine home hobbyist. And with a still of unwavering consistency I can focus wholly on recipe and method.

Why are air stills looked down on…….. my conclusion is that ‘real distillers’ derive their importance from complexity and the simplicity of an Air Still diminishes the guild.

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I don't really know how an air still works...

But I have only a pot still and I believe that is as simple as you are likely to get.
And possibly takes more skill to operate well.
Which is actually not something I claim to do.

A real distiller, not expert, undiminished.

Geoff
The Baker
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

The Baker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:56 pm
have only a pot still and I believe that is as simple as you are likely to get.

no mate yours sounds rather complex to me.

an Air Still is a pot still without heat/temperature control and or control of water/cooling – has a one speed fan – doesn’t even have on/off switch, is plug and play with 100% same same every time.

Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

The Baker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:56 pm But I have only a pot still and I believe that is as simple as you are likely to get.
And possibly takes more skill to operate well.
I can attest to that Geoff, simple in terms of a sharp handsaw, chisel, hand plane and a lovely piece of Red Cedar. The difficult part is making a dovetail joint with those things.
My dovetails are getting better but still fall apart at times :crazy:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I reckon a 'Real Distiller' should be able to make nice product with just about any still, including an Air Still. I have a secondhand one and always intend to use it, but I keep forgetting about it and have only ever done a gin run with it.
ebbadger
Novice

Post by ebbadger »

I looked at the air still when i started a couple of years ago..... great bit of kit as far as a 'fire and forget' option goes and certainly dont 'look down' on users :) I went with a t500 first and slowly stepped up because I have an engineering background and I dont just enjoy the end result, I enjoy watching bubble plates, tweaking water flow, building stuff and twiddling knobs.... bubble plates are like a grown up version of a lava lamp lol