Semi Beginner

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

schoolmonkey
Novice

Semi Beginner

Post by schoolmonkey »

Hey all.

I'm kind of new to all this, started dabbling with a air still (I know), just wasn't happy with what was coming out of it, even with the extra effort refining (at the moment) sugar washes, moved up to the T500 Copper Reflux kit, I know the bad rap it gets, but everyone has been happy with what's been coming out so far, making cuts, etc etc
I have tweaked the reflux with a copper product pipe (got rid of the plastic) plus I am running the water pump/reservoir, I have a house full of kids who love to run the water constantly for some reason.
I do have a power controller, but I haven't used it yet.
Stripping runs were done with the saddles removed from the reflux, but I was giving the SS Pot still condenser, didn't get given the dome, so I'm thinking about buying one.

Currently all I've done are sugar washes, I have 2x25L fermenters, pretty much using the Still Spirits kits, got to say you well and truly can taste the difference between the Still Spirits Turbo Pure Yeast Kit and the Turbo Classic 8 kit, classic 8 is just off I guess is the best way to put it.
I'm wanting to move up to proper mashes or grains eventually, still getting the feel for fermentation etc, started a FFV today, but I feel something nots right, followed the instructions to the letter, the instructions say "it takes off", but so far I've got a thin layer of foam on the top after 20 minutes, I really do have the worst luck :roll:
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Semi Beginner

Post by Sporacle »

schoolmonkey wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 pm but so far I've got a thin layer of foam on the top after 20 minutes, I really do have the worst luck
Welcome along, if you have an issue with TFFV post it on that thread.
Having said that 20 minutes is not a long time :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Monkey
schoolmonkey wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 pm but I feel something nots right, followed the instructions to the letter, the instructions say "it takes off", but so far I've got a thin layer of foam on the top after 20 minutes
Sounds like its doing just fine to me.
schoolmonkey
Novice

Post by schoolmonkey »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:37 pm Welcome Monkey
schoolmonkey wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 pm but I feel something nots right, followed the instructions to the letter, the instructions say "it takes off", but so far I've got a thin layer of foam on the top after 20 minutes
Sounds like its doing just fine to me.
Yeah I just checked it, it's taken off, big thick foam head, it's my first time doing anything but a sugar wash, so it's all new to me.. :D