Gday from Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wobbegong
Novice

Gday from Australia

Post by Wobbegong »

Hello,

Have been "interested" in home brewing for quite some time now, have lived with a couple people that had T500 stills and was impressed with a few of the drinks that came out of it. Was destined to go down the same route until i stumbled on Aussie distiller, which then led me to this site.

Have since picked up a couple kegs and plan to make a kettle and make my own still, following some methods ive seen used here, i think it'll be straight forward enough. (dunning kruger effect) :crazy:

Plan is to make a two element electric kettle, come from 4" to a 2" column, a dephlem and a shotgun condensor, which if i understand correctly should give me the oppurtunity to make neutrals and also have a crack as some of these recipes you lads are raving about.

These bubblers sound like the business too.... :think:

Honestly know SWEET FA about distilling but can use a Tig and not scared of a bit of copper so..

Don't have deep pockets so going to slowly acquire what i can , not in a rush at all.
Anyone from Victoria, Australia that may have an excess of materials or knowledge, or even both... would be awesome if you could get in touch, would be sweet to make a trip out to see how a live rig runs.

Apprentice wages with a fresh newborn will definitely hinder the speed of the build so dont expect anything to happen too quick, still sponging up all the info at this point
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Gday from Australia

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to Home Distiller Wobby.
If you have been over at AU you will recognize more than one ID / name here.
Wobbegong wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm (dunning kruger effect) :crazy:
That alone makes me think you already know you dont know a lot......that attitude will help you learn
:thumbup:
Wobbegong wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm come from 4" to a 2" column, a dephlem and a shotgun condensor, which if i understand correctly should give me the opportunity to make neutrals and also have a crack as some of these recipes you lads are raving about.
I think you need to spend some time looking into reflux stills, the types , LM CM , VM, CCVM, and what makes them tick...............it aint quite that simple in IMO.
Wobbegong wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm These bubblers sound like the business too.... :think:
They can be good , but not all stills do all things well.
Wobbegong wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm but can use a Tig and not scared of a bit of copper so..
That should help a lot :thumbup: