Land of Oz

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grandad7
Novice

Land of Oz

Post by Grandad7 »

Saying g'day from the south-eastern side of Australia.

Tried distilling many, many years ago but did not pursue the hobby.
Started with a Still Spirits super reflux still, then upgraded to a Pure Distilling Spirit Maker reflux still (LM).
Also brewed beer....for many years (Tasted better than the commercial stuff).

A few months ago bought a Still Spirits air still and made a few batches. Also bought a few packs of turbo yeast/carbon/turbo clear (yes, I know). I've got the turbos and will use them as they're paid for. Not a bad end product when running the still at 3/4 power. With 10gm of Juniper Berries and a copper scrubbie in the gin basket, makes quite a nice drop. Am sipping one as I type...one handed.

Now to bring the LM still back to life. :twisted:

Cheers,
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Land of Oz

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Grandad.
Grandad7 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:21 am Also bought a few packs of turbo yeast/carbon/turbo clear (yes, I know)
'
Sounds like you have been reading and learning already :thumbup: You will do a lot better once you stop using that stuff.
Grandad7
Novice

Re: Land of Oz

Post by Grandad7 »

Yes, done lots and lots of reading and viewing (YouTube).
Never too old to learn something new.
Just started a sugar wash using dextrose instead of sugar and baker's yeast.
Took off like a rocket within 5 minutes.
About an hour later I noticed that the airlock was full of gunk so I replaced it with a blow-off hose into a jar with water.