Howdy From Texas

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

disturbinglymellow
Novice

Howdy From Texas

Post by disturbinglymellow »

Been lurking the site for a few months now. Finally requested an account after seeing an ad for someone in my area getting out of the hobby and looking to sell their setup. Currenly have the 9.6 gal Vevor still with thumper (slobber box), and worm condenser. I modified the boiler to a 120v 2kw heater element. Did my vinegar and sac runs before my first sweet feed run. Found out very quick that my condenser was grossly undersized for the 2kw element. I do have an SCR on it, but even turned down had a lot of vapor coming right out the end of the discharge even with sub 70*F water circulating through the worm bucket. Will be stepping up to a LM/VM setup on a keg boiler while I further modify the Vevor boiler to have an actual column and more efficient condenser for pot/stripping runs. Glad to be here and have definitely made my eyes 'bleed' more times than I can count over the last few months. Years ago I had access to some very nice Applie pie shine, and really looking to recreate that for myself as well as dabble in some rums. Much still to learn, but so far absolutely loving the hobby!!
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy From Texas

Post by Oatmeal »

Welcome to the party!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
disturbinglymellow
Novice

Oatmeal wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:31 pm Welcome to the party!
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!!
Vevor 9.6 gal, 3 pot still (don't use the slobber box) converted to electric. More modifications to go.
Keg Boiler, 2kw electric, 3" column, LM/VM Head
Still learnin
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Welcome, neighbor :wave: .
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
disturbinglymellow
Novice

Yonder wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 pm Welcome, neighbor :wave: .
Thank you, Yonder! Accoring to the song there are only two options for the "Best State in the Union" so I like my odds there. Hell, as fast as our neighborhood is growing, you very well could be my ACTUAL neighbor lol.
Vevor 9.6 gal, 3 pot still (don't use the slobber box) converted to electric. More modifications to go.
Still learnin
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

S.e Tx. checking in, howdy! 😆
Welcome to the group
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
disturbinglymellow
Novice

Corn Cracker wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:58 pm S.e Tx. checking in, howdy! 😆
Welcome to the group
Glad to be here! Hope to be able to pay forward some of what I have learned so far as well as what I will continue to learn as I move forward.
Still learnin