Timaru Newbie

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antz-Cooper
Novice

Timaru Newbie

Post by Antz-Cooper »

Hi everyone I'm a total novice haven't even put my toe in the water yet to purchase a still. I know that I want to make whiskey and Rums. I'm in Timaru in the south island of New Zealand so if there's anyone close by who would like to point me in the right direction I'd more than appreciate you're help. Cheers Antz
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Timaru Newbie

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

It's cheaper to build than to buy and you will get better quality product from a well built still than from much of the shiny stuff in your local home Brew Shop, so keep your wallet firmly closed until you have done your homework.

Cheers
Chris
BTW, the bottle opener in my shed has found it's way here from an old Timaru pub that was demolished years ago.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Antz.
Chris has given you some great advice there.......read and learn before jumping into buying ........there is a huge amount of cheap shit for sale out there.........often building is a much better option.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome to HD

You probably need a rum to warm your cockles? I was in CHCH 2 days ago 🥶. Weatherman said -4 in Timaru!!
Much warmer now back here in Sunny Queensland.

Cheers
Antz-Cooper
Novice

Post by Antz-Cooper »

I definitely miss the Queensland weather it was a bit of a shock when I moved here lol
Antz-Cooper
Novice

Post by Antz-Cooper »

Thanks for the advice guys I'll be doing my homework like you suggest Cheers