Rookie from Auckland NZ

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillymcstillface
Novice

Rookie from Auckland NZ

Post by stillymcstillface »

Hi All

New Auckland New Zealand based member here. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to distilling, though I've been brewing all-grain and winemaking at a home-brew scale for 10+ years and still enjoy it. I think my spirit tally only stands at about 6 or 7 batches.

I wanted to expand into distilling to conquer two of my favourite spirits; a peat-forward Islay style Scotch, and a high quality sippable grain vodka with all the right nuances and purity of a top shelf label. I guess those are two very different goals but both a great extension to my grain brewing skills and equipment. Besides that, I'm keen to experiment with various fruit washes as the seasons allow.

I have a ~25L Copperhead still with reflux column as well as a pot still attachment. I'm also an electronics engineer by day so couldn't help but build a temperature controller for the reflux condenser jacket outlet - it works a charm btw. One day I'll invest in something fancier but I'll play it by ear and take in the advice I come by on this forum.

Looking forward to chatting!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Rookie from Auckland NZ

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD..

My son reside in Mangere Bridge suburb of Ackland..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein