Howdy Everyone

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Far Ends
Novice

Howdy Everyone

Post by Far Ends »

I am from upstate NY, apple country.
I am looking forward to learning this hobby, I have only done a store-bought apple brandy so far but I am already hooked. I like making things, I like cooking, I like nearly every spirit, and I love chemistry and microbiology. I have a feeling I am going to be with this hobby for a long time.
Mr Jim
Novice

Re: Howdy Everyone

Post by Mr Jim »

Howdy back.
I love N.Y. Macintosh Apples. We get them here in WA State believe it or not when the season is right in the fall. The best eating apple but delicate in structure, IMHO.
RE: Apples in storage: the sugars change when stored in the reefer vaults and you can I.D. stored apple because the bloom opens up at the bottom and is not tight.
Mackintosh apple juice ferments naturally in the jug in the fridge, one of my vices when a youth.
later
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy Everyone

Post by subbrew »

If you are into fruit look for posts by a gentleman called Cranky (Oscar the grouch avatar). He has posted a book worth on making fruit handling equipment and various brandies.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a lot to contribute.