Hopeful craft distiller

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Turnandrun
Novice

Hopeful craft distiller

Post by Turnandrun »

Hello, completely new to distilling, spent the last season or so lurking, but decided it was time to actually join. I currently plan on primarily making gin, and am wanting to get the licensing to do everything above board. I'm based in Washington, and the current plan is to incorporate, rent a small cheap commercially zoned place, get the licensing, and then start actually distilling. I plan to learn much from all of you, and thanks for the help in advance!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hopeful craft distiller

Post by StillerBoy »

Turnandrun: Welcome

Not to take the wind out of your project, I believe you've got the cart before horse in your wanting to go commercial..

With no experience, the easiest part with be incorporating.. have stated that, the most difficult will the OK from the municipality department in water usage and disposal, the fire code requirements, and building code, then come the government licensing, and learning distillation process, and purchasing and setting fermentation and distillation equipment..

First learn on a small home scale equipment before jumping to deep..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
glenlyon
Novice

Re: Hopeful craft distiller

Post by glenlyon »

When I started, I did two or three batches at home. Then, I packed up all my gear - quickly realizing I could make all the booze I could ever drink in a few months. I decided on the spot to build the real thing and it took two years to get my doors open. Once I was licensed, I then taught myself distilling from the ground up. It didn't take long because nothing make you good faster than audience critique.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller