Hello Folks

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Know More Now
Novice

Hello Folks

Post by Know More Now »

After reading all the requirements three or four times then signing up, I have decided I need a better name. The ones I have seen are far more interesting and descriptive than what I chose.
I have been an all grain home brewer for about eight or so years, and have a little more than basic understanding of grains, mashing, and fermentation. Visiting the LHBS over the years I was intrigued by the stills and paraphenailia, and let myself be talked into an AIRSTILL about five years ago. Yes, with turbo yeast and the whole song and dance, about flavorings and additives. Mea Culpa, and one thousand apologies.
I have lurked on the site for three days solid, not getting anything done around the house, even the dishes! Wow, my ignorance is overwhelming——- but I feel I am on the right track, finally. So much to learn.
I live in the S.E. USA, transplanted from the West Coast. when I started, I knew nothing about stripping runs, cuts, feints, and all, and still do not. I simply followed the instructions on the yeast pack. But I did realize that simply adding “bourbon flavoring” wasn’t the final solution, and quickly started aging on oak chips. It has been very drinkable and the very few trusted friends that I shared with were impressed. Oh. SO much to learn———— Why in the world did I not find this site sooner? WAIT ! That’s a statement, not a distilling question. :D I can read the rules. :D Looking forward to learning with the help of all you dedicated and patient people. Thank you, thank you !
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello Folks

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome, you seem to be on the right track, continue reading 😉
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome.

Geoff
The Baker
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Aboard KMN.
Excellent introduction, Im sure you will learn a lot here.
Know More Now
Novice

Post by Know More Now »

Thanks for the kind and welcoming words. I have not wasted but invested another full day exploring and digesting; so much good info here. I have searched the FAQs section and now have another series of questions.

Is there a protocol to PM members ? I don’t wan’t to start off on the wrong foot. So to speak…..
Know More Now
Novice

Post by Know More Now »

I have read through all the FAQs and did do some research outside the site. But I must admit I’m just an old fart who doesn’t do much in the way of social media at all so some of the abbreviations and icons/logos are beyond my Current comprehension.
Is there a list somewhere of all of the icons? Such as the shield? If the folder icon in front of the subject is red does that mean it is closed? If so where do I get my information?

Sorry to be so obtuse….