G'Day from Ontario Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

JHeron
Novice

G'Day from Ontario Canada

Post by JHeron »

I have been brewing all grain beers for several years now with a keggle and mash tun and have now decided to give distilling a go after tasting some rum my neighbour made with his new T-500 attachment for his Grainfather....
I picked up a homemade still using a 50 litre keg with a 2" column and removable dephlegmator.
I have a 6 gallon brown sugar wash bubbling away now, I didnt have any DADY yeast so I pitched in some hornindal kveik yeast and a few packets of some BE-134 saison yeast that expired back in December, should be interesting...
I am trying to decide whether to run this in one shot with the dephlegmator in place to get some high proof or whether to run it in a couple of runs in pot still mode... I am far from having my sea legs on what to do yet but have been reading a lot...
My wife just got 2 4L jugs of blackstrap molasses so I am going to put together a rum wash next, then I may as well try some all grain spirits since I am all set up for that stuff already, including a large selection of malted barley on hand (I am in a beer club and we buy grain twice a year in bulk for considerable savings).
I look forward to figuring this craft out and learning from all of the contributors here!
Cheers,
Jon
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: G'Day from Ontario Canada

Post by StillerBoy »

Hi Jon..
Welcome to HD from a norther Ontario fellow HD

Rum from the neighbor got you into the hobby, watch out it could become a rabbit hole..

A picture of your still would be appreciated, and it would allow us to better assistance you with it..

So what part of Ontario home..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I live out in the country kind of central to Guelph, Fergus and Elora.
It wouldn't let me post pics on the first post lets try again...
These pics arent the best and dont mind the current state of my garage... :oops:
20220624_173111(1).jpg
20220704_173711.jpg
20220704_173801.jpg
Cheers,
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

I should add I also got a 4500 watt heater for it with an SCR control. He had a PID controller in a nice package for it too but I have a few of them laying around already (electrician by trade) and I plan to run it on my hellfire beer burner for now anyways...
Cheers,
jon
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome JHeron.
That still is going to need some sort of prop or support under the condenser.
The way its leaning now looks like its going to pool before the down hill run to the condenser.
You will also need some copper in the system somewhere....100% stainless wont make good booze.
JHeron wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:48 pm He had a PID controller in a nice package for it too but I have a few of them laying around already

No point trying to use a PID on a still.......it wont work.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Off to a good start from what I see..

It's called a CM unit (cooling management).. It's a good style of still, but a bit of a water hog, meaning it requires dual water lines with needle valves and considerably more water than other style.. but it does produces some good product.. with what I see, there should be no issue to make whatever product you want to make.. just get some good packing, such as 1/4" size lava rocks, and you'll make some good neutral.. or without packing some good rum..
Whatever you do, good half and half fancy / blackstrap, if you want a little sweeter rum.. or panela/fancy molasses is my favorite..

I'm off track somewhat as this is the welcome section and it's mainly for introduction..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Thanks guys!!
I did get a new package of 20'x5" copper mesh with it. He said to use that if I am using fruit in the mash? He said to roll up 2 chunks loosely and to put them in the bottom of the column?
Yes I need to setup a table for the jars and I will address any support needs then, it is just loosely assembled in the pics from when I got it home.
I have lots to learn....
Cheers,
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:01 pm Off to a good start from what I see..
just get some good packing, such as 1/4" size lava rocks
Interesting! My neighbour told me I needed to get some ceramic saddles, but if surface area is the goal then porous lava rock makes a lot of sense.
Where do you source that, fish supply store maybe?
Where do you put this in the column, above the copper mesh in the second piece of pipe? I got a gasket with a screen in it with the unit which should support this filler...
Cheers,
Jon
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

JHeron wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:56 pm
StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:01 pm Off to a good start from what I see..
Interesting! My neighbour told me I needed to get some ceramic saddles, but if surface area is the goal then porous lava rock makes a lot of sense.
Where do you put this in the column, above the copper mesh in the second piece of pipe? I got a gasket with a screen in it with the unit which should support this filler...
Cheers,
Jon
Hey Jon, welcome from the GTA. Always glad to have another member from the local (relatively).

Copper mesh (aka blocker) can be had at Lee Valley in 50' and 100' rolls as I recall. Remember to buy the larger, as you'll end up needing it.
No need for the gasket if the mesh density is correct, it should stay in the column. You need to pack it until there is some resistance if you try to draw air through. Regular new mistake is to use too little which doesn't support the reflux sufficiently.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by JHeron »

Thank you for the welcome!
My neighbour (on weekends) with the turbo 500 is in TO and gets his stuff at Toronto Brewing I think he said, is that your go-to supply place too?

Cheers,
Jon
Expat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm
Cheers,
Jon
Hey Jon, welcome from the GTA. Always glad to have another member from the local (relatively).

Copper mesh (aka blocker) can be had at Lee Valley in 50' and 100' rolls as I recall. Remember to buy the larger, as you'll end up needing it.
No need for the gasket if the mesh density is correct, it should stay in the column. You need to pack it until there is some resistance if you try to draw air through. Regular new mistake is to use too little which doesn't support the reflux sufficiently.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Welcome from Eastern Ontario!

.... DOn't worry too much about the lava rocks ; stillerboy is a bit biased that way :wink: The copper mesh is a fine place to start.

Per other comments here, the PID might be a good thing to move away from but hey, try and tell us what you think.

Seriously, you will learn alot from stillerboy and the other veterans here. Bring a thick skin! :thumbup:
Last edited by Rrmuf on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Rrmuf
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:29 am Bring a think skin! :thumbup:
THAT should be a Notable & Quotable
:D :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:29 am Bring a think skin! :thumbup:
Aye, no worries there! Grizzled old electrician here...
Cheers,
Jon
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

JHeron wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:14 am Thank you for the welcome!
My neighbour (on weekends) with the turbo 500 is in TO and gets his stuff at Toronto Brewing I think he said, is that your go-to supply place too?

Cheers,
Jon
Expat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm
Cheers,
Jon

Odd time when I'm doing an all grain on a whim yeah I'll get a few #50 sacks directly. Better option is to join a one of the local home brew clubs; they do bulk grain purchases and get it near cost. Cost of membership is insignificant compared to the savings.

Otherwise I get ingredients wherever I can find them; farm supply shops are good outside the city, avoid TSC cracked corn though as it seems to be mostly dust and cob.

PM me if you want further info

Cross flow condenser

Post by Mr Jim »

Hi Jon
I lurked at your pictures and I wanted to compliment you on your Kettle build.
I especially like the clean-out access and keg trim.
best to you,
Jim
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Thanks Expat. Correct on the beer club, I have been brewing AG for years and am part of a local club that does bulk buys every spring and fall. I was more wondering about molasses and sugar.
Thanks Jim! I didnt build it but its been nice to hear from you folks that I did OK!
Cheers,
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Out of curiosity, is distilling like homebrew beer and wine when it comes to legality's?
Or am I strictly relegated to distilling water and hand sanitiser?
Cheers,
Jon
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

JHeron wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks Expat. Correct on the beer club, I have been brewing AG for years and am part of a local club that does bulk buys every spring and fall. I was more wondering about molasses and sugar.
Thanks Jim! I didnt build it but its been nice to hear from you folks that I did OK!
Cheers,
Jon
Bakery supply company for black strap molasses, Costco for sugar.

Re legality, it isn't the same. Strictly speaking it's illegal but basically ignored if it's low volume and non commercial. No doubt an insurance company wouldn't agree so keep safely in mind.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Rrmuf »

+1 on insurance: But Safety is paramount regardless so it kind of works out that way. There are alot of good precautions discussed here, use them all.

BL: Be extremely safe, don't hurt anyone, and don't sell it.
... Also, careful for appearing like a commercial spirit. I do not use spirit bottles that have any trademark embossed in the glass.
-- Rrmuf
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Bastards just have to have their hands in our pockets eh!?
I have a pretty good handle on safety, I brewed biodiesel for years making 1425L batches that involved drums of methanol per batch and then distilling the methanol back out over the course of a day or 2 under vacuum using a biodiesel fired boiler I custom built to heat the liquid up directly.
Thanks for all the great advice gentlemen!
Cheers,
Jon
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome .I'm also here with ya. 6hrs away. Like Mars said,It's definitely a rabbit hole.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.