Quihúbole another newbi

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Quihúbole another newbi

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Hello, I'm finally signing on as I'm getting close to my first build. I have a friend here in Jalisco who makes a very above avg. local drink. Watching him work his simple still and outshining all products I have drank here in the last 20 years. It's got me wanting to make whiskey. There is a sugar mill in my neighborhood so rum is also going to be run. I will be going for a combo type of still. I plan on using 3 " copper if I can get past the sticker shock. JK
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Quihúbole another newbi

Post by shadylane »

Welcome to the forum.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to Home Distiller.
Jaliscokid wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:50 pm I will be going for a combo type of still.
This worry's me, few stills do more than one job well. Dedicated types of stills work best for the job they are asked to do in most cases.
Because you see "Dual Purpose"stills advertised for sale on line that doesn't necessarily mean they are a good idea.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Well if I had a wad of fun tickets I would agree. I like my bourbons and beginning to enjoy nice rums. I do know I want to play with some neutral spirits with all the tropical fruits I have down here.
After I get this 50 lt. together I want to get a 20 lt still so I can play different recipes,cane juice vs other types of sugars, and some heirloom corns available to me here. As I learn more I'm sure I'll have a better idea of what to build, I have been building and redesigning things my whole life.
Thanks for caring, JK
Si vis pacem, para bellum
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Jaliscokid wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:09 am I have been building and redesigning things my whole life.
You're going to be a valuable member. :thumbup: