Bringing it back to life

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Bringing it back to life

Post by aircarbonarc »

I use multiple fermenters 14gal when making a batch. A couple weeks ago I made some nice jaggery wash (4×14gal), added all the stuff, food, vitamins, boiled yeast, PH buffer and more to give a good ferment. 2 were pitched with ec1118 and 2 were bakers yeast for flavor. Unfortunately the weather has been cold and my fermentation room decided to stay cold and my temp control system took a break all while I was away at work. The ec1118 turned out fine but the bakers yeast had a problem and crashed. So lastnight I stripped the ec1118 batches, and saved the bottom trub which I poured into the other 2 slacking ferments with some food and did a ph test was at 5.5 which was a decent range. Fortunately the weather warmed up, and 8 hours after the repitch I had life again. Like I could hear it bubbling outside the ferment room!! Also it's being held at 25°c. So I figure and correct me if I'm wrong that saving an active yeast culture and added it to a stalled ferment can bring life back.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bringing it back to life

Post by fizzix »

I harvest the yeast beds from my beers and have started a few new liquor ferments with them up to 2 weeks later. So a rescue from "used" EC-1118 is not a surprise at all.
And EC-1118 LOVES cool temps.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Bringing it back to life

Post by aircarbonarc »

fizzix wrote:I harvest the yeast beds from my beers and have started a few new liquor ferments with them up to 2 weeks later. So a rescue from "used" EC-1118 is not a surprise at all.
And EC-1118 LOVES cool temps.
I'll usually reuse my yeast if it's not infected 3 times max. I find the reused yeast ferments alot stronger and faster.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros