Yeast foamed over: what to do?!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillCity
Novice

Yeast foamed over: what to do?!

Post by StillCity »

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out here.

I just split a 36L batch of birdwatchers into 2 20L carboys. 5 minutes after pitching the yeast foam started to come out the top. I probably lost 0.5 to 1 cup of yeasty foam from each carboy.

What should I do?
I don't know how much yeast I lost.
I am thinking maybe I should add a bit of yeast tomorrow when it has settled down a bit.

Any other ideas?
Has anyone had similar problems?
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yeast foamed over: what to do?!

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I think your plan to add a little bit once it settles sounds like a good one. It will still finish if you don't (might take a little longer) but part of the key to Birdwatcher's (or any sugar head recipe) is not stressing the yeast. So replacing what was lost will help in this area.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Put in a blowoff tube. If you have a tube that will fit snugly in top of the carboy fit it in and then put the end of the tube in a pan or bucket of starsan or similar liquid. don't worry about a bit of yeast being lost. I use a tube that fits in the hole on a cork in the carboy
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Cleanup the mess and leave it alone. The percentage of new yeast that you lost will be insignificant unless there's something else you didn't tell us.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’m thinking same as NZChris
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:23 pm Cleanup the mess and leave it alone. The percentage of new yeast that you lost will be insignificant unless there's something else you didn't tell us.
It's my thoughty, he ferments without problems.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

StillCity wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pmI just split a 36L batch of birdwatchers into 2 20L carboys. 5 minutes after pitching the yeast foam started to come out the top. I probably lost 0.5 to 1 cup of yeasty foam from each carboy.

What should I do?
Ha! That’s an active ferment! The problem isn’t the ferment….it’s the mess on the floor. :lol:

The Krausen (oily foam) is syrupy liquid entrained in the actively respiring conversion of sugars. I’ve had beers over flow the airlock many times, so I know well the mess it leaves. Recently I had a bourbon ferment that started working within 30 minutes after runoff (yes, I lauter my mashes) to the carboy fermenters (I use 3 for every ferment). By morning (8 hours later) the Krausen foam had overflowed all 3 fermenters. Fortunately, I had them setting in the kitchen sink, so it was easy to clean up the mess.

Indeed, you did lose some fermentable material, not just yeast. But, the Krausen also contains oils and acids which can contribute a sour taste to the beer. My best advice is to clean it up and know that your ferment is progressing happily along. And it likely will be done in a couple of days. So, let it go and when it’s done actively fermenting, let it settle a week or so and the beer should clear so you can rack to the boiler.

And then start another ferment, but leave a little more headspace in the fermenter(s) so it won’t overflow next time.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:57 am And then start another ferment, but leave a little more headspace in the fermenter(s) so it won’t overflow next time.
thats the gold star answer :thumbup:
StillCity
Novice

Post by StillCity »

OK, thanks all for the reassurance.

'still on!
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Leave more space next time. Plenty of yeasties left to propagate as others have said…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
StillCity
Novice

Post by StillCity »

Update: it worked.
One of the carboys fermented out in 11 days. The other one took 12. It was also cool weather, so that could have been part of the reason it took that long.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove unwanted advertisment