TFFV

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tresguey
Novice

TFFV

Post by Tresguey »

Well, I started my first try at the TFFV recipe. I used a bran cereal, my local grocery store did not have it in anything else. Hopefully it will be ok. My OG came out to be 1.062.

I do have a question, would it be better if I inverted the sugar? I can do that at the same time as simmering the bran.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: TFFV

Post by Yummyrum »

I invert my sugar . I figure if I need to add a few litres of boiling water to get the pitch temp up , I might as well invert the sugar at the same time .
Some say it makes no difference , I wrongly or rightly am sure it makes a less bitey spirit with a smaller heads cut .

Anyway , how hard is it to bring 4 kg of sugar to the boil with 2Litres of water and a 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid .

Like you say , Teds has the simmering period of the Bran …. So why not .

I’ve tried Oat Bran and Wheat Bran with equal success so I’m sure your Bran Cereal alternative will work just fine . :thumbup:
Hell, I also throw in a box of Weetbix if its around .

I’m afraid I can’t pick the subtle nuances of the various cereals once I have refluxed the crap out of them .I’m just using them for nutrient's . Mouth feel is a bonus , but I’m not a Vodka sipper , I use this stuff for Neutral . …. So please excuse me here .

I actually scale this up and do 180litre washes at a time . …. I still invert the sugar even though it takes me a few hours of shagging around …. I am that sure it helps .
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Hi, I use TFFV alot. This recipe has been very very reliable and produces a very clean neutral. However I have always inverted my sugar, simmered wheat bran.

... I don't *like* the idea of bran cereal because I don't know what gets added in but hey, if its all you got, give it a try. If you do, then I would suggest you invert the sugar to reduce the variables over the T&T recipe , atleast at first. My OG has *always* been over 65 so the inversion might help with your OG a bit (perhaps only what is measurable at the beginning?) ... and it's super easy to do.

I will try oat bran or someone suggested rye. ... just to try something a bit different.

NB. Once you are comfortable with the recipe, If you keep the bran and yeast trub in the fermenter when you rack out the wash, you can also easily just reload it with inverted sugar and water being mindful of ph and temperature to ferment a new batch. Works like a charm with much less time and no perceptible difference in resulting weash quality.

Good luck, and do let us know if you have any success with the bran cereal.
-- Rrmuf
Tresguey
Novice

Post by Tresguey »

Rrmuf wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:22 am
NB. Once you are comfortable with the recipe, If you keep the bran and yeast trub in the fermenter when you rack out the wash, you can also easily just reload it with inverted sugar and water being mindful of ph and temperature to ferment a new batch. Works like a charm with much less time and no perceptible difference in resulting weash quality.

Good luck, and do let us know if you have any success with the bran cereal.
When you reload, do you use the same amount of bran? I’m currently fermenting in a conical, I guess I can dump off some of the trub after multiple reloads.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I only reload sugar and water. The bran from the first batch still has plenty of nutrients for a second batch.... probably a few rounds but I haven't tested more than two rounds.
-- Rrmuf
Tresguey
Novice

Post by Tresguey »

Thanks for the information, I will give this a try.
Tresguey
Novice

Post by Tresguey »

I tried reloading with an inverted sugar batch. Strange thing is, I am going on week 3 now. It is still bubbling away, At first the yeast started withing about an hour, airlock was bubbling at about 1-2 bubbles per second. By day 3 it slowed down to a bubble every 30 seconds, now a bubble every 45 seconds.

I have had imperial stouts ferment out within 2 weeks, this is very strange to me. My guess is temperature has something to to with it. My room is 72 degrees, I do not use cooling or heating on this fermenter.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

In the immortal words of pretty much everyone on this forum:
"When its done, its done. Just let it work."
morefog
Novice

Post by morefog »

Tresguey wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:15 am I tried reloading with an inverted sugar batch. Strange thing is, I am going on week 3 now. It is still bubbling away, At first the yeast started withing about an hour, airlock was bubbling at about 1-2 bubbles per second. By day 3 it slowed down to a bubble every 30 seconds, now a bubble every 45 seconds.

I have had imperial stouts ferment out within 2 weeks, this is very strange to me. My guess is temperature has something to to with it. My room is 72 degrees, I do not use cooling or heating on this fermenter.
I'd verify your yeast prefers that temperature. I know with DADY it likes mid-80F best. Also worth checking the PH. When my wash gets into the mid-3s it crawls.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

bcook608 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:21 am In the immortal words of pretty much everyone on this forum:
"When its done, its done. Just let it work."
[utube][/utube]
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

morefog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:30 am
Tresguey wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:15 am I tried reloading with an inverted sugar batch. Strange thing is, I am going on week 3 now. It is still bubbling away, At first the yeast started withing about an hour, airlock was bubbling at about 1-2 bubbles per second. By day 3 it slowed down to a bubble every 30 seconds, now a bubble every 45 seconds.

I'd verify your yeast prefers that temperature. I know with DADY it likes mid-80F best. Also worth checking the PH. When my wash gets into the mid-3s it crawls.
This was not my experience reloading. Certainly temperature can be a factor: Too low and it stays too slow. BUT if the water added to the trub had a higher temperature, you kill the yeast. The only other potential departures are bran cereal vs bran, and I usually leave the air lock off for the first few hours while the yeast multiplies.

Good luck! And do let us know what you find.
-- Rrmuf