Corn Syrup & Malted Barley/Wheat

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Elut
Novice

Corn Syrup & Malted Barley/Wheat

Post by Elut »

Hi there !

I'm living on the other side of the world (where, btw, shining is tolerated),
and here they have a lot of Corn syrup (maltose).
I was wondering... Would there be any reason for this to not work as a complement for grain worts?
Or even as a sugar mash by itself? I'm aiming on shining Gin almost exclusively.
Would that be a good base for the task?

Here, they also have Yeotkileum, which is used for tea in Korean customs. And it's cheap.
This is malted barley at 70% and malted wheat at 30%.
I'm a beer homebrewer originally, so I've been experimenting to use it several times to make beer,
but the taste is not that great... So I'm sticking with my homebrewing expensive malt.
I was wondering if anyway, once distilled with a pot-still if there are chances for it to taste better
than the fermented wort?

Cheers !
All Grain Beer Brewer
blind drunk
retired

Re: Corn Syrup & Malted Barley/Wheat

Post by blind drunk »

Hi Elut,

I don't think you need a grain based wort to make gin. Something more neutral would be cheaper and more appropriate.

Never heard of Yeotkileum, sounds interesting ... if it's cheap!! Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

gin is a macerated spirit, so you want a good neutral as you base. that means you want a good tall reflux column to pull pure +95%

to make good gin you have to make a good vodka first :wink:

if you have a good reflux column, just about anything that is fermentable can be used since all the flavors will be stripped from them anyways...
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I make gin by fermenting 25lt of neutral sugar wash, and hang a bag of botanicals in the neck of my boiler, ( see my thread for "Gin Clip"

The botanicals in the bag are
4 teaspoons full of dried juniper berries
5 almonds
good strip of orange peel
good strip of lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon of orris root
1/2 teaspoon of angelica root
1/4 of a star anise
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or about an inch of cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon of grains of paradise ( coriander seeds)
Put the botanicals into a spice/coffee grinder and grind to a coarse grind, put this mix into a small muslin bag and hang in the neck of your boiler, attach your column and distill. The quantity af botanicals are for a 25lt wash, adjust accordingly.

This makes a gin close to Bombay Saphire gin ( my wife thinks its better) :D
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Aces High
Swill Maker

Post by Aces High »

Sounds like a nice recipe olddog.

Where do you source Orris root & angelica root? I've never heard of them
Elut
Novice

Post by Elut »

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks guys and for the great recipe as well.

I'm gonna make the Gin with a pot still, not a reflux. So I'm looking for a pretty neutral wash.

From my beer brewing experience, once fermented, that corn syrup doesn't taste anything, so I guess that I'm gonna go this way.

Thanks again ! :mrgreen:
All Grain Beer Brewer
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Aces high: I got orris root & angelica root online from an Ebay store in Queensland

Elut: I aways use a potstill with thumper.
Last edited by olddog on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

From my beer brewing experience, once fermented, that corn syrup doesn't taste anything, so I guess that I'm gonna go this way.
I just remembered that I have a full bucket of the stuff I used to use for candy. Much better for mind candy. Cheers, bd.

edit - do you know if sugar and glucose can be swapped one for one?
I do all my own stunts
Elut
Novice

Post by Elut »

Bd, corn sugar/syrup is maltose, right? :|
All Grain Beer Brewer
the pure drop
Novice

Post by the pure drop »

Elut, the yeotkireum WILL work, I've used it myself for a few all malt mashes. It mashes very easily. I didn't make much of it though because I found the resulting distillate to be very aggressive for my taste. I also thought it was a bit expensive at 2000 won per 500g. I have since attributed the aggressive taste of this malt whiskey to my lack in cutting skills. I have been using it in my last 4 ujssm washes at a rate of about 15 % of the grist. I leave it in for two generations, then replace it. It's easy to replace because it floats to the top and acts like a cap on the wash. I really like what it is adding to my wash. I believe I have since gotten much better and far less greedy with my cuts and will probably revisit the all malt using the korean malted grain. By the way they also use it during the making of soy bean paste (which I love). I assume you are in korea...what part, if I may ask? I'm up near uijonbu myself.
The Pure Drop
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hey Olddog
Like the sound of your Gin recipe. Can you please advise that when your Gin is mixed with tonic etc. it does not louche.
Regards
Patch
Elut
Novice

Post by Elut »

the pure drop wrote:Elut, the yeotkireum WILL work, I've used it myself for a few all malt mashes. It mashes very easily. I didn't make much of it though because I found the resulting distillate to be very aggressive for my taste. I also thought it was a bit expensive at 2000 won per 500g. I have since attributed the aggressive taste of this malt whiskey to my lack in cutting skills. I have been using it in my last 4 ujssm washes at a rate of about 15 % of the grist. I leave it in for two generations, then replace it. It's easy to replace because it floats to the top and acts like a cap on the wash. I really like what it is adding to my wash. I believe I have since gotten much better and far less greedy with my cuts and will probably revisit the all malt using the korean malted grain. By the way they also use it during the making of soy bean paste (which I love). I assume you are in korea...what part, if I may ask? I'm up near uijonbu myself.
Hey man. Uijeongbu... On base?

We moved to Europe a few months ago, but still fly to Hangook from time to time.

We used to live in Kyeonggi too, in Suwon. If you're up for a pint or ten next time...
All Grain Beer Brewer