Killer heache for days

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ahmed

Killer heache for days

Post by Ahmed »

Well I've learned my lesson. Though I still don't know what I'm supposed to learn.

5L fermentation container with baloon lock (needle hole) filled with 1 kg sugar, 5 tablespoons of tomato puree, and bakers yeast (the solid block kind that you keep in the fridge) topped with spring water. Let sit until bubbling is nearly gone. (5 days). Siphon into boiler (6 liter ss pressure cooker, and 3mt copper pipe for steam path and condenser) and heat until boil.

Turn down heat, watch distillate drip. Smells like asetone alright. Keep everything until distillate doesn't catch fire (and some oily stuff comes.)

Wash everthing and start over. Put collected distillate (750cc) back into boiler with about 1/2 liter tap water. Boil again.

Turn down heat so low that the gas flame is nearly out. Watch distillate drip, smells like asetone alright. Dump 200 cc.

Collect about small lemonade glass of hearts. Smells like dead animals and asetone alright. But still much better smell than the tails that come out alter.

Dilute 50/50 and run hearts thru activated carbon. Oh it doesn't smell anymore. Like magic. Put in freezer. (Still only a small lemonade glass, maybe 150cc)

Try to light the stuff before drinking. It doesn't catch fire. To be on safe side put some more water. Taste.. not bad. Still smells a little like cooked yeast!

Be surprised on how little stuff collected from 5 liters. (Only a glass?)

Drink, go to bed after popping a vitamin-b tablet.

Get up to the worst, but WORST headache. Feel your brain stay still even when you move your head. Be slow all day long. Now I know how mentally challanged people feel like.

Let 2 days pass. Watch the headache dissapear slowly as days pass.

I think i lost lossa brain cells there... What did I do wrong?
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

How much of it did you drink???
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

1 glass. Imagine a glass of tea, only that much.

I really don't know what went wrong. Maybe the amount of mash was too small and everything (heads tails) got mixed up while distilling? I tried to take care not to go fast.

Maybe there was something wrong with the fermentation process and the yeast made everything but ethanol?

After some research I know that the bad smell is mostly caused by the suspended yeast during boiling.

But I really don't know what chemically got me there...

I know that one shouldn't think distilling is safe even if many people say so.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

it is safe just do ur research and distill properly.

Turn down heat, watch distillate drip. Smells like asetone alright. Keep everything until distillate doesn't catch fire (and some oily stuff comes.)

Wash everthing and start over. Put collected distillate (750cc) back into boiler with about 1/2 liter tap water. Boil again.

Turn down heat so low that the gas flame is nearly out. Watch distillate drip, smells like asetone alright. Dump 200 cc.

Collect about small lemonade glass of hearts. Smells like dead animals and asetone alright. But still much better smell than the tails that come out alter.

Dilute 50/50 and run hearts thru activated carbon. Oh it doesn't smell anymore. Like magic. Put in freezer. (Still only a small lemonade glass, maybe 150cc)

Try to light the stuff before drinking. It doesn't catch fire. To be on safe side put some more water. Taste.. not bad. Still smells a little like cooked yeast!
this isnt exactly a good method of distilling ur product, who knows what the hell u got in it, specially if u didnt check alcohol % of the mash
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Probably lucky you didn't die :roll:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I think you threw out all (most) of the good stuff. One kg should make about 0.5 kg ethanol, add the water, you've got maybe 0.55. Next time. throw out only 20 ml (for a 5 liter batch) at the beginning and drink the next 400 or so, blending some of the "tails" for flavor.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

The Chemist wrote:snip.., blending some of the "tails" for flavor.
Why would anyone want to add tails back into sugar wash spirit? The only flavour it has is bloody awful and carries headache risk to boot. Most of us sugar washers go all out to remove all hints of tails (& heads).
Cheers,
Lindsay.
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

I have to agree with the Chemist. Sounds like you threw out the drinkable part and drank the tails. And a glass full at that. I'm surprised all you got was a headache.

AkCoyote
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Thank you all... Now I know that I didn't do my math properly. Well, this is a lesson learned!

Also proves it's hard to do any real damage to oneself with home distilling. Look at me, I drank the worst part and am still kicking.