Jam

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brett
Swill Maker

Jam

Post by Brett »

ok so id been thinking about recipes all night, lookin at whats fruits are cheap n when (big joke in england its never cheap). anyway, im sat down this mornin eating my toast with bramble jelly jam :D and i started to read the packagin as u do.

sugar
fruit
gelling agent

hmmm ok read on

contains 40g of fruit per 100g
contains 66g sugar per 100g

no mention of preservatives

thats like 181 g of fruit n 299g of sugar per jar
so by rights 3 jars per gallon to yield 11% potential.

Would this work i read on this site about the pectin in fruits causing higher methanol and i presume the gelling agent will be pectin :( but would some pectolase fix this?
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

There's a Web site with a recipe for jelly wine. http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/jellywine.htm

I can't vouch for the flavor, nor for the alcohol content, but from the sounds of it, jelly will ferment. I'd be willing to bet jam would, too. Doubt the fruit bits floating in it would hinder that too much.

Post by Guest »

yep, no reason why it shouldn't work ! The high sugar content works as a preservative so none is added !
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

This goes to a phenomenon I've noticed with myself. Not long after I built my first still, I noticed that almost everywhere I looked, I saw things--coffee pots, glass jars, tea sets, woks, etc.--and kept thinking to myself "I bet you could make a still out of that." I hear the same thing happens with pot heads and bongs. So Dennis Leary says, anyway.

Apparently it also works with fermenting.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

its all true Kato, i had a brief gap from brewin recently, but everytime iv been into it i find myself lookin at everythin in a new way, even looking to trees n plants thinking hmmm wonder if there poisoness :lol:
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

In the canning of fruit jellies, I believe that pectin is often added to ensure that things go properly. I'm no expert on canning so its possible that the pectin gets broken down some how, but I believe that the fermentation of pectin leads to the production of methanol.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
level Joe
Swill Maker

Post by level Joe »

I make strawberry and black rasberry jam and a packet of liquid pectin is what I use to make it jell but cant speak to methanol production.

Ball Liquid Jell for jam & jellies ingredients: water, pectin, lactic acid, citric acid, potassium citrate, polyglycerol ester and sodium benzoate
Salus populi suprema est lex. [L.] The safety of the people is the highest law.
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

I believe pectic enzyme is used to break up the pectin in the jelly. This may neutralize the amount of methenol you would have created. Not absolutely positive however...
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

no, I think pectin itself is actually added to encourage gelling. There are pectin-free jams and jellies though.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

KatoFong wrote:This goes to a phenomenon I've noticed with myself. Not long after I built my first still, I noticed that almost everywhere I looked, I saw things--coffee pots, glass jars, tea sets, woks, etc.--and kept thinking to myself "I bet you could make a still out of that." I hear the same thing happens with pot heads and bongs. So Dennis Leary says, anyway.

Apparently it also works with fermenting.
I walk around all day long thinking about ingredients, still parts, collection containers and the like as I look at ordinary object that used to have no particular significance. Funny how a hobby can change your perception so much. For years I've done the same when driving over a creek or river, I always crane my neck to see if there's a fishing spot I need to come back to. I do it so often, my wife usually says "there's no fish down there, keep your eyes on the road" to give me a hard time.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

yep ur all right there are 2 gelling agents iv heard of been used but the only one iv seen used in jam and i know my nan used to use is pectin, but i have a tub of pectolase from my homebrew shop which i used to throw into all my homemade fruit wines to remove the pectin anyway. Not sure how the flavour will be but iv noticed a lot more pure jams appearing at cheaper prices, these jams only have sugar fruit n pectin.

as i said by rights id need 3 jars per gallon for 11% wine at £1 (good stuff) or under a jar.

now if i want to look at fruit a punnet of strawberrys would cost me £1 (a little less if i pick them myself) and they weigh 450 g (around 1lb) and 1kg (2.2lbs) of sugar is £1.. That means 3 punnets per gallon and 1 bag of sugar.

so looking at it the price isnt all that different until u start producin larger amounts :lol:
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

my (incomplete) understanding is that pectolase only encourages the pectin to break down into meoh
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

From Gallander, Chemistry of Grapes and Other Fruits (Chemistry of Winemaking):

"...pectins in musts may contribute to the methyl alcohol content of wines. This undesirable wine constituent is probably derived from hydrolysis of naturally occuring pectins."

and

"The hydrolytic action by these enzymes..." [pectolases]

So it seems you're right, Fourway. You can leave the pectins alone, they'll probably make your wine cloudy, or you can hit them with pectolase, and throw out a bit more methanol when you distill. If you're just making wine, you'll have to decide whether you prefer cloudy wine (nothing wrong with it really) or elevated methanol content. (I know which I'd pick!!)
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...