Minimum flammable proof?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

theslak

Minimum flammable proof?

Post by theslak »

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I've been moonshining for a while I use a pot still I made myself wich is nothing fancy but gets the job done quite well.. My shine is always flammable and I was reading in one of the posts about 80 proof being impossible in a pot still (and i only single distill not double) so my question is at what proof does distilled alcohol become flammable?
mrdrbubba
Novice

Post by mrdrbubba »

I may be wrong, but as I recall, they used to ignite spirits to test their strength, and that which burned was said to be "proved." 100-ish proof in today's terms.

While the concentration of your still's product will, of course, change throughout the run, I'd be mildly surprised if you didn't get any <i>more</i> than the 80 proof you say, unless you were cutting kinda far into the tails. Although, hey, everybody's setup is different.

I've drawn averages well over 120 on a single run through a pot still.

<a href="http://homedistiller.org/">The website</a> has probably everything you could want to know about the subject.

Cheers
theslak

Post by theslak »

yeah ive heard it's somewhere in between 100/200 proof when it's flammable.. i need to just invest in a good alcoholmeter i saw one on ebay the other day for like 6 bucks hehe
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

Welcome to the forums, theslak. I sure do like the Memphis area.

From my experience around 100 proof (50% abv) is flammable, and you can light lower proof likker, you just have to hold the flame to it longer. mrdrbubba is right, the word proof comes from "proving" the strength of likker using the flame test; if it lit easily it was at least 100 proof. I think it was even poured on gunpowder, and if the gunpowder lit it was proved to be good whiskey. If it didn't there was too much water in the likker (i.e. below 100 proof). The higher the proof, the easier it lights and the bluer the flame (more devil's beard--the yellow part of the flame--means more compounds other than ethanol in the mix).

You probably read that it's difficult to get over 80% abv (160 proof) from a pot still, not 80 proof. Depending on the abv of the mash, and whether I add any feints I get anywhere from 45% on the low end to 70s% (140 proof) on a single run from my pot still.

Yup, alcoholmeter is the way to go, and cheap.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

The flamability of an alcoholic drinks is dependent on the temperature of the liquid. If you warm it up enough, you can light 15% schnapps on fire.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner