I'm guessing sugar might be a good thing to stock up on

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rocky_Creek
Rumrunner

I'm guessing sugar might be a good thing to stock up on

Post by Rocky_Creek »

right after gasoline.
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and them's pretty good odds.
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

I'd stock up on just about everything. Once gas gets fully established at this current rate and fails to go down. Just about every commodity is going to go up.
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

On the plus side, ethanol is close to becoming an economically viable fuel...
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
rectifier
Swill Maker

Post by rectifier »

I just did an analysis of the local price of corn vs. the price of gasoline over the last few days. And built most of my fuel still, only the bottom column and boiler to go.

The most expensive corn price I found ($8.50/20kg) works out to $1.05/L fermented into ethanol. Gas hit $1.25 today as it continues flying up after the hurricane. And from what I hear, that's a high price for corn.

I'm calling the local(ish) feed co-op tomorrow to ask about bulk pricing. Corn by the ton is supposed to be a lot cheaper according to friends who live on the edges of the city and know farmers. I should be able to get a price quite a bit lower than $1/L...