Gelatinization Temperature Chart

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Gelatinization Temperature Chart

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks for sharing TS.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

OtisT wrote:Hi Ravi,
My understanding is that Gelatinization will do two things: 1) long chain sugars (starches) will be broken down into shorter chain sugars that are one step closer to what your yeast need to feed on and 2) it softens the grains so that liquids can pass in/out of the grains so that the yeast can get to those sugars it wants to eat.

The finer the grind, the less time it takes for gelatinization to complete. I only use flaked corn so I can’t tell you how long it takes to gelatinize various grinds of corn. Using high temp enzymes can help with the success of these conversions.

Otis
Close Otis. Think of the starches like lengths of yarn. Typically that yarn is wadded into a tight ball, and the scissors (enzymes) can't access the inside of the ball to cut. Gelatinization opens up the tight ball and exposes more sites for the enzymes to cut the starch molecules into their sugar components.
bionut
Novice

Post by bionut »

I don't understand the upper limit of the gelatinization temperature... Does it mean that a temperature bigger than the upper limit from that chart won't make the gelatinization happen faster? Yes, the gelatinization starts at a certain temperature but I believed that if you boil grains/corn, etc you would get a faster gelatinization.
stevea
Novice

Post by stevea »

The OP gelat chart is inaccurate. It dates to a 2009 aussie homebrewer forum, and the guy says he pulled it together from another amateur HB forum. The PDF page attached below is from "Food Chemistry" 4th Edition by Belitz, W. Grosch, P. Schieberle. Note that Rye is way off in the OP chart.
gelatinization.pdf
Gelatinization table
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Tis this for those that can't download .
008C936E-3227-4CC9-94EB-054F8DAE452D.jpeg
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

One thing I find.. Corn has a lower temperature listed than works well in real life. I find corn need like 30-60 minutes at clsoe to boiling. 90-95C for the best gelatinization to let the enzymes at things and best conversion.

Having the corn really fine like cornmeal helps lots to speed things up!

B
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I think the values in that table may well be for flour.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers