Rice whisky

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bullpeters
Novice

Rice whisky

Post by bullpeters »

This is my first post. can anyone provide a recipe or some experiance with producing that horrible tasting Rice spirit so prevalant in Asia. i lost many brain cells with my 80 year old alcoholic father in law in Thailand recently, and with friends in China 6 months before. Pops would cycle a couple of blocks for a litre in a plastic baggy. Bad headache/much methanol?? Are their any Asian afficioanados out there that can guide my hand. I have the basics of ethanol down but there seems to be some discusion of the fermenting medium,method,mould,yeast..? Anything would be informative
Mick
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
rubber duck
retired

Re: Rice whisky

Post by rubber duck »

Hey Mick,

This is a place to start. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 68&start=0
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

From what iv found contrary to popular belief in thailand its not made from rice or not much is. most is made from sugar cane products. using kōji mold (Aspergillus oryzae) as a starter.from what I gather is that rice is steamed ,mold/yeast added, then yeast is taken from this and added to molasses/water.
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

Shochu is distilled rice wine. Get some koji spours and follow the directions. Very simple process and an excellent sipping brew, especially if you already like sake.