The No Boil Corn Mashing Method

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

homebrewer007
Novice

Re: The No Boil Corn Mashing Method

Post by homebrewer007 »

I agree the more aggressive commercial and most importantly healthy yeast will become the big bug on the block (one main reason for doing starters), but we have to remember that there are sugar chains that commercial yeast is not designed to metabolize. Lactobacillious will now through sucrose which sacramyces can't touch. Even when I do a sour mash I'll introduce a controlled strain of lacto to the mashtun and cover it with a sealed lid overnight. I will then finish my sparge and boil to kill the lacto then add my sacrmyces to finish the job. This is commonly known as a kettle sour.

In the lab we normally see lacto and Brett take off with about a four hour lag time.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I had a lacto for the first time in a drop of my "Scotch" which then went on to slowly ferment out. I have to say that even the "white dog" is really nice. and the amounts produced are if anything slightly more than I am used to.

Next cook goes on toasted and charred oak to see wht we see.

A few of our members deliberately set out to get "infected ferments" - Maybe they are on to something ! :shock:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You can invert sucrose but yeasts will by themselves break it down to simple sugars frutose and glucose that it can use no worries with no other bacteria required. Lac to is not there to assist the yeast in any way but to add a certain flavour (sour mash) to the product. I know of and have seen a distillery in Lexington KY (Alltech) run one of their finished mash worts into a wide open wooden vat for the purpose of cultivating a lactic ferment.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jafa5
Novice

Post by Jafa5 »

Some bloody good reading here!
Beginners question, do most people ferment on the corn and include the barley / wheat / rye in the ferment or separate the grains from the corn? I can easily mash my grains separately and just add the wort to the corn mash, just an extra step.

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Nice!

Thanks for spending your time to write this up! :clap:

As usual tons of info :)
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i get lacto almost every time on my corn mashes
the last one was like 1/8 inch thick
made good stuff
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Auger1
Novice

Post by Auger1 »

What if you don’t have any back set yet?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Acidulated malt works.
:)
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I have finally broken down nd gotten a Digi Boil. I put 12 gal of water to 25# of corn and set it for 195 and once up to temperature let it sit for 2-4 hours. Check to see if it is soft and go longer if need be. then add high temp enzymes and set the heat for 145. let it sit until it gets down to that temp and add the regular enzymes. You can then ferment on or off the grain.