Sugar Wash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

UKwildcatshiner
Novice

Sugar Wash

Post by UKwildcatshiner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey yall, I am new to this website and have learned a lot and very rapidly learned that making shine isn't nearly as easy as I thought. My question is I found a recipe on a site called instructables and had a wash recipe for moonshine consisting of 5 pounds of sugar to 3 gallons of water and a packet of active dry bakers yeast. I made this wash approximately 1 day ago on Sunday around 2 pm eastern standard time well reading through recipes I learned I need nutrients is it to late to add it in? Is the wash completely wasted? Or is this wash okay to distill? I kinda jumped the gun and didn't do all the research I should have. I appreciate all the help I can get. Sorry if this is a repeat question but I looked through all the website and couldn't find a answer. Here is the website if I didn't include exactly what you needed http://www.instructablescom/id/How-to-make-moonshine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow (I know I'm dumb for thinking I could get a good recipe off a site like this)

Dnderhead
retired

Re: Sugar Wash

Post by Dnderhead » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:16 pm

go ahead add nutrients,,you mite need more yeast.

UKwildcatshiner
Novice

Post by UKwildcatshiner » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks!

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 am

UKwildcatshiner, you might have a healthy enough yeast colony to complete the fermentation after adding nutrients but more won't hurt... Have you decided on what you will be adding for nutrients as yet...??? You haven't mentioned whether you will be pot stilling for flavor or refluxing for neutral spirits... What will you be using for a still...???

UKwildcatshiner
Novice

Post by UKwildcatshiner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 am

Rad, I am using a pot still.

sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:55 am

Hi wildcat! I'm uk based also. Welcome to the forum.

If you are pot stilling then you might want some nutrients that will leave a little bit of grainy flavour. Wholegrain breakfast cereal is good for this!
Try adding some supermarket brand all bran. morrisons Do a 500g box for 99p.
I use 400g per 25 liters of wash and it works wonderfully. I like to run it twice through a pot still for a nice, light wheaty flavour.

Check out rads all bran recipe in the tried and true section.