adding baking soda/salt for 2nd distillation

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

adding baking soda/salt for 2nd distillation

Post by Guest »

Hey guys,

I was planning to give the salt and/or soda method a try for my 2nd distill. I read the site and it seemed to be sorta on the fence about the whole thing, so I did a search in the old forums, but I got so many hits I thought it'd be easier to repost here. So my questions are: Does anyone here use soda/salt with their pot sill? Any issues with using iodized salt instead of kosher style? How much do you add per L of wash? Can you use salt/soda together?

Thanks
Steve
PS I am using a SS boiler and I have heard that there could be some pitting issues with the use of the salt. Is the use of salt worth the risk of the pitting?
swpeddle
Novice

Re: adding baking soda/salt for 2nd distillation

Post by swpeddle »

oops.....I thought I was logged in........

[quote="Anonymous"]Hey guys,

I was planning to give the salt and/or soda method a try for my 2nd distill. I read the site and it seemed to be sorta on the fence about the whole thing, so I did a search in the old forums, but I got so many hits I thought it'd be easier to repost here. So my questions are: Does anyone here use soda/salt with their pot sill? Any issues with using iodized salt instead of kosher style? How much do you add per L of wash? Can you use salt/soda together?

Thanks
Steve
PS I am using a SS boiler and I have heard that there could be some pitting issues with the use of the salt. Is the use of salt worth the risk of the pitting?[/quote]
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Certainly, chlorine is always raised as a bogey where SS is concerned. This URL is informative:- http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/04-html/4-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Whether the small amount of salt you would be using would be a problem is debatable I guess. Others may have practical experience, here. Different grades of SS may react differently, as well. After all, there is plenty of SS in the boating world.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
OverTork

Post by OverTork »

Most of the pots and pans in my kitchen are stainless steel and none of them are pitted or cracked. Aren't all foods salty, acidic, alkaline or some combination? It seems to me that what's really important is washing and rinsing thoroughly soon after use.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

Quite right, OverTork. Every time the spuds get cooked it is in salty water. Never heard of anyone throwing their pots out cos of pitting or corrosion.
Cheers,
Lindsay.
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

[quote="linw"]Quite right, OverTork. Every time the spuds get cooked it is in salty water. Never heard of anyone throwing their pots out cos of pitting or corrosion.[/quote]

that's a very good point.....actually, where I live we consume quite a bit of salt beef/pork and if that doesn;t pit the SS pots, adding a little bit fo salt to a wash certainly won't. I'll post back when I do my run and let people know how it goes.
Tater
Admin

salt

Post by Tater »

ive tryed salt in my ss still didnt hurt it. did raise the proof a little. tater
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper