Will this work?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Will this work?

Post by Uncle Jesse »

from the old message boards:

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/06/02 10:44 PM
subject: Will this work?

3.7L Water
0.9Kg White Sugar
3.5Gr Bakers Yeast

Should make 14% alcohol, will this work?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/11/02 09:39 PM
Re: Will this work? [re: Anonymous]

Not very well. You need to add some type of nutriment to support the yeast growth. There are several commercial types avaiable, but I am trying to make my own. I have experimented with adding a small amount of tomato past to your recipe with good success. Try doing that and your recipe should make a "vodka" like liquor that when distilled, will knock your socks off!
Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/13/02 06:11 PM

will the paste pass on to the flavor of the final product? and how much would i add? any formula out there?

Finnish
(stranger)
08/14/02 12:44 PM

Too much fiddling with all these nutrients; get some turboyeast instead, some promise up to 20%, in reality they will give 18%.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/27/02 06:54 PM

I've used 5ml lemon juice, 0.8kg cane sugar, 3g nutrient, water up to 3.7L, 25g baker's yeast. If the fermentation sticks, add a bit of high alcohol yeast (EC-1118 or similar). It should take about 2-3 weeks. I've found that a smaller amount of yeast, as you suggested, with no nutrient, takes months to ferment.

I know it'll just make 12% or so. To push for a higher percentage and less ingredients to worry about, go with turbo yeast.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/27/02 08:02 PM

No the taste of the tomato paste will not be carried over into the distilled product (distillation removes all such flavoring). You probably should consider using about 4-6 ounces of "paste" in a 5gallon (US) mix. I agree that Turbo yeast is the quickest and easiest way to go but, if you (like me) cannot locate it locally and don't want to pay the high shipping charges (UPS, Airborne or Fedex, etc. which raises the cost several times over), this may be the way to go!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.