What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Jimbo »

I followed Corene's lead and bought a mop wringer. It helps, but its still a pain in the ass. I have an 8ton apple press but never want to goop it all up and have the clean job after.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Going to try a rum. 10 lbs brown sugar,and a 16 oz bottle of molasses for a 5 gal batch. Add 2 packs of bakers yeast and see what I get.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

The only laws worth breaking are the ones that don't make sense!
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Spirit run on some Birdwatchers, bit windy so it sapped a fair bit of my gas away but should have some neutral for Xmas.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

shadylane wrote:Some one needs to figure out how to easily squeeze the liquid, out of fermented "corn meal mush"
Wonder how an old washing machine lined with mesh would work? Just put it on spin cycle and run a water charge through it to clean it. Or, just some homemade centrifugal device. Just thinking out loud.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
shadylane wrote:Some one needs to figure out how to easily squeeze the liquid, out of fermented "corn meal mush"
Wonder how an old washing machine lined with mesh would work? Just put it on spin cycle and run a water charge through it to clean it. Or, just some homemade centrifugal device. Just thinking out loud.
I think I saw on here somewhere that someone's done that. Didn't turn out to well. The grain settled unevenly and ended up throwing mash everywhere.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

Soon to be putting my third gen corn/sugar wash thru the still...sent a bottle of my 2nd gen to my cousin and got a text which just said.... "CHRIST!!"..in a good way!
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Did a spirit run of UJ. By the time I cut out heads and do blending and proof, figure I'll have close to 3 gallons. Much is headed for strawberry panty dropper as well as cherries and some raspberry I picked while runnin.
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

Jimbo wrote: Im not looking forward to squeezing 82 lbs of that small corn meal mush through a mesh bag until my arms fall off.
I'm hearing you Jimbo!

I've improved my method by using the multiple mesh sizing on different bags. Still takes me an hour to get my 40L of all grain wash, but it's a labour of love and boy is she worth it! :thumbup:
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

Putting down several batches of 100% molasses rum (shall we say 'all grain rum'?).

Have 70L of fancy molasses, and making a whole heap of different runs. Some double pot distilled, some single pass on the plated column. Will age for a year and possibly blend for best results. Also keen to spice some aged rum down the track when it's ready :D
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Made some punkins muck with 45% abv UJ. Turned out pretty darn good. Not quite a bailey's (which isn't what I wanted, so that's good). Put a bit on a spoon and let kids taste. They both said it tastes like really good cake. A little thick but great diluted with milk, even better with coffee.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Run #3 of Tree Top apple juice. Learning cuts of this stuff better. A bit of heads went into run #2's cuts hoping for more flavor. It sat for > a month in the white on glass at 55% waiting for blending into this latest run and has mellowed considerably. YMMV.

tp
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

No oaky oak TPee? Thems caramels and vanillas goes goooooood with apples. Have we had this conversation already, I just got struck with deja vu. Sorry, surfferin a little CRS in my advanced age (cant remember shit)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Oh yeah. The white was sittin' on the shelf waiting for the next batch to fill the jug plus I wanted to see just what it would do after a month of just sitting around. The prior run went into the jug along with this one at 55% and four fingers of oak too. I usually use 6 fingers for a full gallon but this one is only 2/3 full so...

Now for the wait.

tp (2/3 full kinda guy)
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

T-Pee wrote:Oh yeah. The white was sittin' on the shelf waiting for the next batch to fill the jug plus I wanted to see just what it would do after a month of just sitting around. The prior run went into the jug along with this one at 55% and four fingers of oak too. I usually use 6 fingers for a full gallon but this one is only 2/3 full so...

Now for the wait.

tp (2/3 full kinda guy)
I feel like we're living in parallel universes. I have a quart jar of apple white dog sitting on the shelf waiting for two other runs that are sitting in ferment buckets doing the 30 day wait. They should be ready to run in a couple of weeks.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I feel like we're living in parallel universes.

tp
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Made a Scotch today. I used 25 lbs of Peated malt and Ended up with 11 gallons at 1.062 Can't wait to run it!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Made a raspberry version of panty dropper, at 110 proof. Thought I had too little raspberries at first (been fighting with birds to get ripe ones first). But found raspberries have a lot more flavor I'm smaller amounts than a lot of fruits, and not quite an inch worth in a quart jar really flavored it up nice! Gonna hide this from the wife!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Three stripping runs of a slightly corny sugar wash intended for liqueurs, apple pies and whatever else I want to play with.

The boat will be ready to go fishing as soon as I shut down.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Scribbler »

Oops.
Last edited by Scribbler on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote: squeezing... mush through a mesh bag until my arms fall off.
Strained third batch of 100lb potato shine today. :tired: Then did two stripping runs, ran it dirty this time :shifty:
......pumpkins will be here soon...... :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Trying again!!

I made THESE today: two tangential water in/out fittings with female threading for my new condenser!!! I'm very happy how precise the fit came out!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408844119.645881.jpg
Tal
Swill Maker

Post by Tal »

Running my 3rd generation corn/sugar wash at the moment. Started @ 136 proof and after collecting 8 litres so far, is still @ 120 proof!...tastes beautiful too!...doing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation certainly smooth's the finished product out nicely.
"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb...that's where the fruit is!"
335Guy
Novice

Post by 335Guy »

Got a new rum recipe going through the still now. It's a 12 gallon charge through a thumper charged w/ mixed rum and grape brandy heads & tails. I'm into pint #9. It's still in the heads, but pretty tasty...
4xRotor
Novice

Post by 4xRotor »

Okay guys I just ran a batch of sweet feed with pumpernickel Rye grain add it you've got to try this. Easier than Odins rye bread but just as good
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Scribbler wrote:Trying again!!

I made THESE today: two tangential water in/out fittings with female threading for my new condenser!!! I'm very happy how precise the fit came out!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408844119.645881.jpg
Good job. Is that a quick disconnect?
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Beer today, will be my mainstay over the Autumn and winter. Coming to the end of my moonshine season, got about three more batches to run through and then going to have to survive on what I made over the Summer.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Shadylane: threaded brass fitting with a standard air-gun hose male end screwed in at the moment. (My posting this here was a lame attempt at being funny: the thread title doesn't actually specify parameters in asking what we made... obviously though, the intent is "what kind of beverage did yall make...". was just being dumb because its been about a year since I've done up a wash!!)

Apologies for the genre-bending!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Started a cereal wash. Used 2 pounds grapenuts, handful corn flakes, couple stale rye cracker, and couple tablespoons dried ginger. 15 gallon ferment with SG of 1.07. Has a nice foamy cap and smells yummy.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Made a nice blanket for my pot to slip into and keep nice and warm, rather than using a cooler for mashing. Holds the heat very well. Used some of that hot water tank insulation. Fit to wrap around, made the bottom and put together. Have a piece that covers the lid as well with a small hole for therm to keep an eye on temp. Can't keep it on while on the heat but slips in easily and still snug enough to be efficient. Also had enough left over to wrap my 20 gallon fermenter and lid as well. All for under forty bux CDN.
Attachments
Parka.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Mango gin, Odin's Easy Gin method. Tastes good. It might not last the month it needs to be properly ready.