What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by OtisT »

Yesterday and today I finished a bottle of Apple Pie. Mmmm Mmmm Good!

I found an old recipe by Wineo in a thread titled “Apple Pie” that I followed. ( not the OP recipe, but the one in the thread by Wineo). The only deviation I made from Wineo’s creation was using the sugar head whiskey rather than a neutral. The sugar head whiskey was aged on oak for one year, and tasted just OK, nothing special. It was a smooth drink with an oak taste, and not much more. I wanted to make it something worth drinking, and I definitely hit the mark.

I’ve not tasted any other Apple Pie recipies, but I am very happy with this one. Tried it warm last night and it was delicious. I refrigerated the bottle and just had a glass tonight. Even better. I have more soaking and when I have another liter ready, I will be trying it carbed, which I have read is the best.

Start with a Quart jar
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dark brown Sugar
2 cinimmon sticks ( I used 1)
Fill quart jar with sliced apples. Half Granny Smith, half and Red Apple.
Fill jar with neutral spirits ( I used 80 proof sugar head whiskey or as I call it, Oak Tea.)
Turn/shake 1/day for 2 weeks or longer. (Longer is better)
* Pull out the Cinimon sticks after four (4) days.
Pour out and filter
Bottle

I also have a few jars of Apple Pie soaking in some rum. I’ll be opening those in a few more weeks to see what that does for me.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Copper_clad
Novice

Post by Copper_clad »

Well cross your fingers for me. Just lit the fire for a second attempt at some watermelon brandy. The wine tasted delicious so I'm hoping the finish will as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

Preparing for a freeze filtration experiment to make 10 liters of vodka. I know some commercial people are using chill/freeze carbon filters for their vodka. If this experiment succeeds (at least partially) I will make an actively cooled carbon filter as a priority.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

btw I will probably never make a baker yeast patch of neutral ever again! no matter how low you go with sg this yeast puts out more ester than even a rotgut ec1118 ferment. fuck this shit
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Saturday we made 32 Gallons of a North east IPA. No hops at the beginning of the boil but a pound of Mandarina hops with 5 minutes left, Then another pound today, in the fermenter, then one more in 3 days.
And the chloride is near 200 PPM.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I ran a batch of Uncle Jessies today. 6th generation and the 3rd using the same yeast. Every batch runs a little different.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

26ltrs of a pale ale with Chinook for bittering and Aurora for aroma, SO5 used.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

Running 7 gallons of low wines cut with fresh wash from a sweet feed wash. Just got a 5 gallon barrel delivered today. Looks like I’ll be filling it soon.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Rng4 wrote:Running 7 gallons of low wines cut with fresh wash from a sweet feed wash. Just got a 5 gallon barrel delivered today. Looks like I’ll be filling it soon.
Where is my "like" button! I have a 3 litre barrell coming. I did a 5 gallon batch of American Wheat beer and I got my Corny Keg system in.
Copper_clad
Novice

Post by Copper_clad »

Ran 6 gallons of mead to make honey shine. So far it's great.
Copper_clad
Novice

Post by Copper_clad »

Now I am going to add 2 gallons of the honey shine backset and one gallon of my original backset to my new grain recipe.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I made a small batch of wheat/barley whiskey that turned out wonderful, with about 1.5 gallons at barrel strength making the cut. First thing I pulled a liter of the heat or hearts for sippin now and it sure tastes delicious.

This batch went into one of my new 1 gallon Badmo style barrels with a medium toast (no char). I just made a new batch of 1 gallon, 1.5 gallon, and 2 gallon barrels and am looking forward to filling them all. :-)
1 gallon barrel of wheat/barley whiskey
1 gallon barrel of wheat/barley whiskey
I had 1 liter of spirits left over so I split that in two jars and added a small oak stick to each. One toasted only, and one toasted w/char.

Otis
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Mashed in 50/50 corn and smoked 2 row
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

I put 3 quarts of 7th generation Uncle Jessie's on oak. This last batch was different....in a good way. The proof was pretty consistent and the taste as well. Crazy stuff.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Today I split up a bunch of fruitwood sticks for aging spirits. The Plum has been seasoning over a year, and the Apple and Cherry have been out for two years.

I’m not sure if it matters, but I separated the Apple’s heart wood from the rest.
Seasoned Plum, Cherry and Apple Wood
Seasoned Plum, Cherry and Apple Wood
Otis
StillinCanada
Novice

Post by StillinCanada »

Just finished mashing ShineOn’s Butter Rum. This is a great easy Rum to mash in and I’m looking forward to tasting the final result! On that note I also spent the day doing the cuts on my Oatshine from a week ago!

Mark
Learning and developing the skill of distilling, with everything posted on YouTube at Still in Canada. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY15HC ... 2OvAZu-XlQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Today I started a batch of “Oats/Wheat/Rye Whiskey/Whisky”.

Mixing AGs can be a PITA so I made this stir stick today that attaches to my drill motor. Makes mixing all those grains in a big barrel very manageable and a lot less work than by hand.
Mixing stick
Mixing stick
Mixer blade
Mixer blade
Otis
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Finished another spirit run of Odin's Easy gin, collected 800mls and added the same amount of water to get 1.6ltrs at 40%. Will be putting some away and the rest will go to my wedding guests.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Beerbrewer wrote:..... and the rest will go to my wedding guests.
Congratulations on the pending nuptials. Otis
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

5 gallons rice and corn whisky in which 3 are being made into bourbon
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

pulled some 10 month old panela rum from a once used 5 gal barrel also bottled some panela rum that was aged in the same barrel when it was a virgin.
Wow what a big color and taste difference between the two.
panela new oak old oak.JPG
The virgin barrel rum (rumsky) is the one on the left and the used barrel Rum on the right.
While the rumsky isn't bad the used barrel rum had more rum flavor.
Also had a chance to taste Nerdys rum for a side by side - a really nice complex rum I thought mine was a little one dimensional compared to his. Also got to taste some of Otis's HBB - :thumbup:

OVZ
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Helpin the missus with a 6 gal batch of cab. While sipping 1st gen HBB. mighty fine sip that is. Mighty fine. :P
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
baznkez
Novice

Post by baznkez »

Made Molasses rum wash today ,5kg molly ,3 litres dunder, 3kg raw sugar, ec1118 yeast
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Molasses rum wash here. 2 gal golden barrel blackstrap, 10 gal water, 1/2 cup red star bread yeast, 1 b complex capsule, 1 tbsp dap, 1 tbsp calcium carbonate.

SG of 1.090, temp of 91F, 5.4pH

This is the start of a few generations. I’ll add the trub/old yeast to 1gal of hot dunder immediately after running it as nutrient for each batch and pitch new yeast each time. Once dunder cools in the boiler I will put some in a carboy to get infected with some lambic culture and other bits and will add that to the fermented wash in each run at around 10% of total volume.

I got blackstrap and fancy, so I’ll play with both, but the golden barrel blackstrap was really good tasting. Will likely stick with that.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Helped finish distilling some Irish whisky :thumbup:
100% malted barley, mashed, lautered, and fermented off the grain.
Stripped in a gas fired copper pot. Then redistilled in a SS pot with 4 plates,
There's a long row of jars on the bench waiting for the cuts in a day or three.
I've been sampling some of the hearts, It's like chewing on malted barley and chasing it with beer :lol:
Bubba figures to age it in a SS corny keg with a mixture of roasted, toasted and lightly chard apple wood.
Once it has the right flavor, he will dilute to drinking strength.
Then cheat a little, by adding caramelized sugar for color and glycerin for smoothness :wink:
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Today, how about since last Tuesday? Havent had much time to get on here or mess around for the last six months but last week finally MADE time to do something.

Kicked off 5 buckets of UJSSM. Started off with starting the yeast, made a mess. Finished cleaning the buckets & drilled holes for the air locks. Boiled water to dissolve the sugar, threw in corn and was enjoying it. About the third bucket in, a buddy that was over helping started bitching because he didnt realize how much work it was. I knew it wasnt like making a pot of coffee but as I go I will learn what to do & not to do.

Took specific gravity reading on all the buckets & tasted them. 1.075-1.080. Wasnt to long before they started working off good. The whole house smelt really good. Wednesday late morning I went to check on everything & the airlocks werent doing shit. After a simple pot of coffee, it dawned on me that it cooled off in there. I dont remember how cool but well below 80* Covered the vent, half way covered/boxed in the buckets so some of the freezer heat would warm them back up. Later that day it was in the mid 80s & air locks going to town.

By saturday morning they all slowed do & I rechecked the SG sunday morning after work. Two buckets were down to .992 & they were the best smelling & tasting. One at .994 was so-so but a bad taste toward the end. The last two were .998-1 with a yeasty smell and junky taste. Im going to blame the "not fresh" corn but it was probably something I did along the way or the bakers yeast. Im going to try the same setup again but change the corn to "fresh".

Something that didnt dawn on me until after everything was going, was that I used tap water. I had planned on using the well water but oh well. Do yall that that made a difference? Also plan to get some distiller yeast to try.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

One gallon of Cherry wine (kit), proofed down my Cornflakes whiskey to 45% and bottled it. We'll see how it tastes in around a year to 18 months time.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

OtisT wrote:
Beerbrewer wrote:..... and the rest will go to my wedding guests.
Congratulations on the pending nuptials. Otis
Thanks Otis, I've saved myself a fair bit of cash by sorting out the vodka, Beer, wine and gin myself :)
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Mashed in 12 gal of bourbon. 20lb of corn, 2.5 of 6 row, 1.5 of flaked rye and a pound of oats for feel. Using Red Star yeast fer a change. Strenghtened the conversion with a touch of amylase last nite and iodine says "good work" this mornin.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I bottled up one 750ml of my smoked whiskey to see how it's coming along. Much better than I hoped for. It's very smokey, malty, good body... Tastes like a nice single malt, except the smoke is sweeter rather than medicinal. I used 2/3 beechwood malt and smoked the rest myself on 50/50 mix of apple and cherry. It could still benefit from a little more time on the used oak, but I'm very happy with it!

Need to get another one going so I won't run out!