What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Arancello. 114 proof. Brown sugar.

I've also recycled the orange rind into another jar of my feintkenshine at 72%.

Tomorrow: lemoncello, limecello, and grapefruitcello.
image29.jpg
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20210321_183813186.jpg
IMG_20210321_184111751.jpg
This is everything I have distilled this year.
The jars are two batches of 50/50 corn oat all grain done booners style and one batch of gumballhead off the spent grains from that. The carboys are (left to right) low wines from booners casual all corn and a mixture of faints leftover mash and nasty beer wine and girly drinks.
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

Re-ran the corn mash I had stripped the other day... Came out a tasty likker at 90% ABV. Good flavor. For this run I kept the copper mesh packed spool, but added the dephlagmator to better control separating fore shots. No copper plates at all. I like this setup for grain
IMG_0114.jpg
: keeps the flavor, and allows control.
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
Posey0474
Novice

Post by Posey0474 »

Newbie, so forgive any misuse of terms.

I just wrapped up a stripping run on 42L of an AG rye wash. Wasn't thrilled with the output, 3 gallons at 26%, but didn't get a great conversion (OG 1.048) which fermented on the grain down to 1.002. Grain bill - 60% flaked rye, 35% flaked corn, 5% distillers malt. No added enzymes, red star distillers yeast. I think i had the strike temp too low and it dropped more when I added the rye and corn. Still had some starch in it when it cooled. Is there anything you can do to fix that once the wash has cooled? I'm adding everything right into the fermenters and wrapping in blankets to keep temp.

But I did have some successes. I didn't scorch it like I did the last run. Slowly brought the internal elements up. Took longer, but no burnt smell. Backset had a nice toasted sweet smell to it. I did not use turbo yeast or clearing agents this time. Just let it ferment for 2 weeks and then clear for 4 days.

Going to give it another go and hopefully end up with some low wines with a higher ABV to bring this batch to 40%. Maybe going to 30% malted rye and 30% flaked to help with conversion or add some amylase enzyme.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Posey0474 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 am...Grain bill - 60% flaked rye, 35% flaked corn, 5% distillers malt.

No added enzymes, red star distillers yeast...Still had some starch in it when it cooled.

Is there anything you can do to fix that once the wash has cooled?
First off, your recipe would benefit from more malt. 5% is too low for that much flaked grain. Flaked grains have no diastatic power because it is all denatured during the flaking process. So, I’d use 15 - 20% malted barley for conversion power.

You said you thought the strike water was too cool, how warm was it?

I would “dough in” the malted barley at 150*F with a “stiff mash” and then add the flakes a little at a time and keep adding hot water to keep the mash at, or very close to 150*F. When you’ve got all the flakes stirred into the malt and the mash is like “oatmeal”, then you could add the rest of your mash water at 150*F and let it convert.

Be sure to check conversion with the iodine check after an hour, or so.

Finally, get some enzymes (liquid, I recommend). Those will help finish starch conversion for you, even if you’ve moved the mash to the fermenter. They’ll help make it fermentable.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

I ran an all grain corn mash yesterday (60% corn, 20% malted barley, 10% rye, and 10% oats) on my 4 plate flute still. I attempted to run at a lower alcohol rate coming off (between 140-160p) to try and carryover more flavor. I had to play around with the reflux and amps to balance the load to get this proof but finally was able to dial it in.

If I like the flavor at blending this will be my first batch going into a barrel to be aged.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

In the process of mashing 25 gallons of Bourbon. 50# grain 75/13/12% corn, malted rye, and barley.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:33 pm Arancello. 114 proof. Brown sugar.

I've also recycled the orange rind into another jar of my feintkenshine at 72%.

Tomorrow: lemoncello, limecello, and grapefruitcello.
image29.jpg
HL,
You just macerating the lime skins on your limecello then as per lemoncello?

I got what I thought was a great result but a little too much bitterness for my liking. Lemoncello in the middle
Test 3.jpg
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Put stilled my plum wine for my first plum brandy yesterday.
Have to say, I don't mind it at all even after 1 day. Will have a slosh on Easter Sunday and see what my buddies think of it.

Gonna have to buy me a whole lot more plums me thinks!
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

does someone know if you need to add nutrients to a malt extract wash? And will ec 1118 work? I dont know anything about brewing.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Put the Booners through the still...tastes, & smells like new corn likker.
Plan is to age on oak for 4-6 months and see if I can get a bourbon taste out of this one.

Racked off my first mead, (started 1-3-2021) clear and tastes good (probably why everything after the mead tastes good) the mead finished out at 17%. She sure don't taste like it...

I love this hobby (Obsession) :)

Stay safe & have fun
BlackStrap
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

cdd wrote:does someone know if you need to add nutrients to a malt extract wash? And will ec 1118 work? I dont know anything about brewing.
If you don't know anything about brewing you need to learn. I say this as someone who knows very little about brewing myself but that just means I need to do more research anytime I want to try something new. I did a malt extract though and used no nutrients and it worked great. I have to say though that is an outrageously expensive way to make something.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

[/quote]
cdd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 am does someone know if you need to add nutrients to a malt extract wash? And will ec 1118 work? I dont know anything about brewing.
Zeotropic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 am If you don't know anything about brewing you need to learn. I say this as someone who knows very little about brewing myself but that just means I need to do more research anytime I want to try something new. I did a malt extract though and used no nutrients and it worked great. I have to say though that is an outrageously expensive way to make something.
I would say both of you are in the wrong thread for this topic...No?
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

BlackStrap wrote:
cdd wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 am does someone know if you need to add nutrients to a malt extract wash? And will ec 1118 work? I dont know anything about brewing.
Zeotropic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 am If you don't know anything about brewing you need to learn. I say this as someone who knows very little about brewing myself but that just means I need to do more research anytime I want to try something new. I did a malt extract though and used no nutrients and it worked great. I have to say though that is an outrageously expensive way to make something.
I would say both of you are in the wrong thread for this topic...No?[/quote]Sorry my mistake. Sometimes I forget about pm's.
If a mod feels like it please delete my off topic posts.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I made it off work early so now I get to start stripping out my all wheat whiskey the mash smells AMAZING as is cant wait to smell/taste the final product
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Baxda
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Baxda »

Mashed a batch of Hbb, managed 1.070 with 1.8lbs per gallon with the addition of enzymes. Now to see how it ferments out.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:01 pm
Zeotropic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 am I would say both of you are in the wrong thread for this topic...No?
Yup, off topic I think Zeo.
Blackstrap, go to the Board Index and start at the Welcome Centre then go quickly to the New Distillers forum and read everything there is.

I am hoping a Site Mod will pick this up and help you more with their usual directions to Newbies that I don't have to hand but have a look at the links below to get you started.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Yup, off topic I think Zeo.
Blackstrap, go to the Board Index and start at the Welcome Centre then go quickly to the New Distillers forum and read everything there is.
CoogeeBoy

I posted in the welcome center a few years ago... Thanks for the late welcome, and advice. :)
Haha

BlackStrap

30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

E2E2B914-7B5B-4D08-8AEB-9FECC208EF55.jpeg
Finished up a new controller box.
6579A6E6-64DD-405D-B809-8C20799AE110.jpeg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A new power controller. Salty Staves had one fail that was about the same age as mine, so I bought in the parts and built a spare unit. Because it's MKII, It's marginally less ugly than MKI :D
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

More wheat lme strips today. I can smell the lme in the lowines I'm excited about that
Triplequad
Novice

Post by Triplequad »

Got 24 lbs of corn, 11 lbs of rye and 3 lbs of rice bubbling behind me and an all faints run turning into a neutral as we speak
16174772529302580188085626763928.jpg
cdd
Novice

Post by cdd »

i have 2 stripping runs and a rectification run planned for today. Probably takes around 18 hours total according to my calculations. Pretty rough life but It's my own fault because I stopped (out of laziness) distilling for a year and now Im scrambling to get some aged product done.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Triplequad wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:14 am Got 24 lbs of corn, 11 lbs of rye and 3 lbs of rice bubbling behind me and an all faints run turning into a neutral as we speak16174772529302580188085626763928.jpg
Whats with the plastic hose off the PC? :thumbdown:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

More wheat stripping today gonna try for two runs today
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Making a wheat spirit run on this rainy day
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Pulled the insulation off my fermenter to let everything settle before I rack and squeeze this weekend.
25 gallons of a pretty standard bourbon mash bill. (75/13/12) First of probably 4 mashes to work on for another 5 gallon barrel fill.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am Pulled the insulation off my fermenter to let everything settle before I rack and squeeze this weekend.
25 gallons of a pretty standard bourbon mash bill. (75/13/12) First of probably 4 mashes to work on for another 5 gallon barrel fill.
I've just finished up enough for a 2 gallon barrel fill (malt barley and malt wheat) now to wait another six months to empty the barrel of its first fill
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am
Deplorable wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am Pulled the insulation off my fermenter to let everything settle before I rack and squeeze this weekend.
I've just finished up enough for a 2 gallon barrel fill (malt barley and malt wheat) now to wait another six months to empty the barrel of its first fill
My first barrel is a week short of 5 months in. I peeked in on it last week, golden color, butterscotch and biscuit flavors, silky finish. I'm looking forward to next spring to see where it ends up.
Ive got another used barrel now aging 5 gallons of Malbec, that should come out in the fall. I still need to figure out what to put in it after the wine comes out. Likely another single Malt with some specialty malts in it to make a bold flavor statement that will stand up to the wine.
Then this bourbon project will fill a 3rd barrel. I should have plenty of ageing stock around the house by the time I retire in a couple of years to have a great party.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:16 am
Durhommer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am
My first barrel is a week short of 5 months in. I peeked in on it last week, golden color, butterscotch and biscuit flavors, silky finish. I'm looking forward to next spring to see where it ends up.
Ive got another used barrel now aging 5 gallons of Malbec, that should come out in the fall. I still need to figure out what to put in it after the wine comes out. Likely another single Malt with some specialty malts in it to make a bold flavor statement that will stand up to the wine.
Then this bourbon project will fill a 3rd barrel. I should have plenty of ageing stock around the house by the time I retire in a couple of years to have a great party.
Yet another reason to increase my boiler size